Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: You're only as good as the property you're hunting.....?

I don't believe that there are big bucks EVERYWHERE, but if you are not hunting them the right way, you will never see them. Just because YOU never see them does not mean they did not see you or that they are not there. I truly believe more deer hunters than hunters see deer. Wheather you are asleep, looking the wrong way, not noticing the small things, whatever, they can get by you in a blink!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

What do you mean by "You are only as good..."??? I know guys that hunt prime spots and manage to get a dandy deer every year, yet admit that they only spent the weekend prior to season opener in the woods (mostly gun hunters). These same guys are about as worthless as tits on a boar when it comes to actually hunting unfamiliar territory.

I also know a guy that have a rough time getting access to prime spots but still grind out a respectable deer. However,he isdedicated tohis efforts and do more then just show up and wait for their next PY buck to walk past. But this guy is pretty damn good in unfamiliar woods too.

In my mind the second scenario shows a far superior hunter that does not have access to quality land. Their are plenty of hunters with more skills then others that just are not fortunate to hunting cherry spots.

The land you hunt should not define you. You actions should define you.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you can be a better hunter/woodsman than the property you may hunt. Does the size of the animals rack necessarily reflect the skill of the hunter? If you kill good animals while they are on their way to a food plot are you a better hunter than the one that finds their bedding area, sneaks in ultra-close and kills the animal there?

What attributes make a good hunter? Is a guy that kills big racks on the same propertys year after year a better hunter than the guy that goes to new property, scouts for a day, then hunts and kills somewhat smaller racks?

Personally, I think property has much less to do with what makes a good hunter than other factors.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you can be a better hunter/woodsman than the property you may hunt. Does the size of the aniamls rack necessarily reflect the skill of the hunter? If you kill good animals while they are on their way to a food plot are you a better hunter than the one that finds their bedding area, sneaks in ultra-close and kills the animal their?
You kind of touched on something I was thinking about. Are some properties easier to hunt that others? Yes 2 properties may both hold the same numbers of "quality" bucks, but one may be easier to kill a deer on due to terrain, accesss, food etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmen

In the words of Todd Miranda,
"The best hunters have the best properties to hunt."

It always annoyed me when he said that until I looked at it differently. Originally when I heard him say thisI was under the assumption that he meant if you didn't have good land then you were not a good hunter. But I think his intent is more inline with you can't kill them if they aren't their.
I dont want to put words in his mouth, but i believe thatI saw the same show when Miranda said that. IMO, in the context of the show i believe that he was talking about hunters who put the most amount of inches on the ground. He the went on to discuss how those hunters he was talking about would read record books, find counties that produced "top end bucks", then found towns in those counties, then took topo maps, marked funnels, rivers, edges and what not in those towns, then tried to access permission to hunt on these spots. This is alot different than Joe Smith going out to his local woods and killing a book buck every year.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gene Wensel said: "You can't shoot, what is Not there"

That's the reason my goals vary from place to place, and property to property I hunt.

That's also why I was thrilled with my Dec. NE Mule Deer buck. He was the best Buck on that 1,000 acres, and I was able to nail him.

Dan
Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.