Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My New HOYT AM32 (Black on camo) >

My New HOYT AM32 (Black on camo)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My New HOYT AM32 (Black on camo)

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My New HOYT AM32 (Black on camo)

Steve - I'm thinking about trying a 75 gr. head in 2009...I'm just looking for a flatter shooter out to 30 yards (no adjustment needed27-30 yds)...I know I may need to be in the 300fps range in order to hold a single pin out to 30 yards so I'm going to see how it goes...

I'm not crazy on speed and counting 3 - 4 fps...if I was..you guys know I'd be using a drop away and not a Whisker B...

I hate to leave the NAP Spitfire...However...I've killed deer and hogs with the jack hammer (75gr.) so I'm cool with it...I just need to re-learn my set-up and develop a new confidence level before the 09 opener.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Rick....My arrow length will be 28- maybe 28.25 "

I thought the 500 was the spine I needed on the UL's if I went to a 75 gr head.

Am I off by thinkin 400 UL for 100gr. @ 70 pounds and the 500 for 75 gr. head @ 70 pounds?

A 28" arrow you DEFINITELY need a 400 spine vs. a 500 spine. I don't have my OT2 here at work, but at 70#, you definitely need a 400gr arrow. And you need to make sure you have enough weight there as well. At 27.5" @ 70# with a 380gr arrow, you oughta be able to put out 290+ with that bow. No reason to be trying to push the envelop too far. And you don't want to go to a 75gr. head, because it'll make your FOC LOW, and make tuning more difficult. Stick with at least a 100gr. head.

You can get OT2 free for 2wks as a trial version, then if you like it, buy it after that, and it'll help you spine set-ups, etc. If you want a quick and relatively accurate online calculator for speed guestimation, try this link.....
http://www.thearcheryhut.com/calculators.php, it's as good as I've found online. It's put me within 5fps on the bows I've set-up.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve - I'm thinking about trying a 75 gr. head in 2009...I'm just looking for a flatter shooter out to 30 yards (no adjustment needed27-30 yds)...I know I may need to be in the 300fps range in order to hold a single pin out to 30 yards so I'm going to see how it goes...

I'm not crazy on speed and counting 3 - 4 fps...if I was..you guys know I'd be using a drop away and not a Whisker B...

I hate to leave the NAP Spitfire...However...I've killed deer and hogs with the jack hammer (75gr.) so I'm cool with it...I just need to re-learn my set-up and develop a new confidence level before the 09 opener.

o ok, the jak- hammers are great broadheads and are some of the most accurate i have used
Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

OHBOW...Thanks...I'm all over the map...and learning...I'm use to shooting a 5575 GTat 65 pounds and 100gr. out of my old Hoyt Havoctec (260 fps)...so with this AM32 I'm trying to cut hairs and figure this out....I appreciate everyones help...I will look at your link you sent me...

All eyes and ears are open...I'm a sponge and takin this all in.

With my 800 dollar bill ...You can rest assure my short arms are going to try to find a 290 fps mark. I love the quietness and the feel of the bow...but I want her to make me proud in the open bean fields out to 40+...I hope to do these shots with more flatness out of this 32.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

sick, congrats. how's the glare?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO worries on glare..I haven't tested it on a whitetail but it will be ok...it looks like a low glare powder coat finish...funny you mention glare ...this was a big factor for me in picking my first 2 tone bow.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

OHBOW...Thanks...I'm all over the map...and learning...I'm use to shooting a 5575 GTat 65 pounds and 100gr. out of my old Hoyt Havoctec (260 fps)...so with this AM32 I'm trying to cut hairs and figure this out....I appreciate everyones help...I will look at your link you sent me...

All eyes and ears are open...I'm a sponge and takin this all in.

With my 800 dollar bill ...You can rest assure my short arms are going to try to find a 290 fps mark. I love the quietness and the feel of the bow...but I want her to make me proud in the open bean fields out to 40+...I hope to do these shots with more flatness out of this 32.
Brian,
In all seriousness, don't expect anything to be flat between 0-30yds, because even a 300+ fps bow has some Arc at that distance. I suppose thats why it's called ARChery. Get it set-up right though, and a 40yd shot isn't completely out of the question, you just need to make sure that the animal you're shooting at isn't alert or aware of your presence. I made that mistake once this year, ended up putting 28" of arrow through a 1.5 yr old doe's head. Short track job, that's for sure, but not exactly what I intended by any means. And I'm shootin 280's with a pretty quiet set-up. Realistically speaking, if you get 290-ish out of that set-up, it's not unreasonable to shoot one pin from 0-27-28yds, but 30 may be pushing it a little. I set my first pin at 24yds, my second at 32, and theres some drop between the two, trust me. Between 32-40, I will hold a little differently closer to 40 than closer to 32, and I actually figure about an inch over per yardafter 40 if I'm shooting that far. For deer, 40 is my limit, and I pushed that limit once this year with not so good results. My second deer was 38yds but from about 45' up due to the deer being down in a valley, and I held under, but not quite enough, still had a good quick clean kill, but hit a touch higher than I would have liked. When totally familiar with your bow, you should know "about" where it will hit at most yardages between 0 and 50yds. If using a single pin slider, I'd shoot every 2-3yds marked on the slider just to see where my POI is.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the speed just to flatten out your area your making the wrong choice. With my GTO which IBO's at 350 or so, and a 400 gr arrow with my 29 inch draw, im still dropping around a foot out at 40 yards. So needless to say, your loosing more than your gaining going with that set up. You still have to be able to judge yardage and be able to shoot your bow, so go with the set-up that offers the most shootability.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is awsome.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet looking bow

Quick Reply: My New HOYT AM32 (Black on camo)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.