Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm about to give up >

I'm about to give up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm about to give up

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default I'm about to give up

Went out this afternoon to hang my Assault on the edge of the wheat field I've been hunting. Haven't been there since Friday so I figured it had plenty of rest. Chose a two-trunked tree facing the east woods so I could shoot into the woods and had a good shot out into the field, while still hiding me about as well as I can in this area. South wind made it perfect. All set up and waiting for the action.......last few times I've hunted here all the deer are coming from the east woods, its just a matter of narrowing it down to a good set.

Wind switches from the west just when 3 does coming my way stop at 40 yards and hightail it back in the thick brush toward the river. An hour later here they come.......but all from the southwest side of which they had seemed to all but abandoned for the last two weeks. All in all 24 deer spotted in the wheat field, not counting the 3 does(probably in that group), once nice buck that I could tell and nothing came close to the east field edge as they had consistently been doing my last few trips. The buck came the closest at near 60 yards. Think I've had it, these deer are too smart and too spooked. Got a week and a 1/2 left but I am getting burnt out. Tired of playing eastside, westside, which side? Think I'll spend the weekend taking rest of my stands down.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm about to give up

Yeah, I hear ya. I think I'm going to predator hunt for a few weeks then try to fill my 2 shotgun tags during the late doe season. I'm about burned out as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

When it stops being fun, its time to take a break. No shame in that
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand...As far as bucks go, i had the same exact problem this year... Every time I'd try to set up on them based on seeing thema day or twobefore, they'd pass through from the wrong place, laughing at me. If you go out again before the season is over, good luck to ya
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going out in the morning[8D], different area but those same deer may show up there and its been a good late season woods over the years. Besides when I am done I can take a stand down.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Cougar, you saw 24 deer in one sit and want to hang it up? You have seen almost as many deer as I have seen allseason in just one sit. If your goal is to still kill a deer, get back at it. It doesn't get any better than seeing 24 deer in one sit, in one location. I would be jumping for joy.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

It doesn't get any better than seeing 24 deer in one sit, in one location. I would be jumping for joy
Exactly my thoughts. Get after em'.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do it Cougar!! They are still out there, I killed my best buck on January 2nd 2000. It only takes 10 seconds to make this your best season ever.

I still got a few hunts in me this season. And you can bet your ass I'll be out there on the 2nd!!I know they didn't kill all of the nice bucks I got on my trail cameras. And they have to eat too.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know how you feel Cougar. I too have been feeling like going out is an exercise in futility of late. I haven't seen a nice buck from the stand since the middle of November. No real surprise there since they are all spooked from the orange army, but still can get frustrating. Although, I am still going out this evening. Giving 2008 one more chance!!!

Good luck. It sounds like all you need is a little bit of luck and it will all have been worth it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coug, Sometimes there are days like that, and unfortunately sometimes there are seasons like that.

If you are not having Fun then it probably time to get away from it for a while.

Just remember it won't be long berfore you'll be wishing season was in so you go out and chase'em[8D]

Above all have Fun!!

Dan

Quick Reply: I'm about to give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.