Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pope and Young disqualification?? >

Pope and Young disqualification??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pope and Young disqualification??

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Default RE: Pope and Young disqualification??

ORIGINAL: CodyGuess

ORIGINAL: dave37

Excuse me .....hello - if i shoot a p&Y buck while it would be great to make (the cut) , if they dont like my 80% l/o and lumenok. i dont CARE - i just shot a freakin P&Y caliber deer !
I agree, I think the whole Pope and Young system needs restructuring, better yet somebody else come up with a new scoring system for bow only, should be total inches of antler. No deductions no net B.S., gross only.

thats right.. same here. im gonna be tickled pink an i have been fortuante to take a py buck an was extremly happy.. hek im happy with my does
Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed a couple P&Y bucks. One of them qualified all the way around. I was useing a 50% let-off bow. I haven't entered any of them into the record books. For one You have to pay like $25 to get in there book. Which I thought was retarded. I don't need to pay noone $25 to know My buck scores over 125".
Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

I like the club. I have paid the fee enough times that I could have bought a few dozen new arrows and broadheads.

My bow is 65% let off and I have nothing that is electronic on the bow or my arrows. I shoot this equipment because I like the way it feels not because of the P&Y rules and requirements.

I enter the deer because I like records. I like looking through the records to see things like where the big ones are coming from or where the next hot spot is likely to be. Maybe I'll move there, buy a piece of land or possibly seek permission.

I think it's a great organization and don't mind supporting it.

The entry fee is nothing more than a weak night at the tavern. It doesn't hurt me any to miss out on one or two of those per year! [:-]
Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's a great organization and don't mind supporting it.

The entry fee is nothing more than a weak night at the tavern. It doesn't hurt me any to miss out on one or two of those per year!
X2.

A bowhunter should shoot what they want within the limits of the law in the state they are hunting in. But state law doesn't take precedence over P&Y club rules and getting a buck in the book. I also like the club though I have never entered a buck in the book. Think about this........almost every bowhunter recognizes a 125" buck as "the standard". Personnaly I like that as a measuring stick. That doesn't mean a buck taken below 125" is a lessor buck and that a bowhunter shouldn't be proud. Its simply a minimum to enter a buck into the book. Just think, many many years ago P&Y was sort of advocating letting the little bucks grow before anyone ever thought of that concept!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I liked 65% letoff when I shot it, but I much prefer 80% today. I personally would Not go back.

You wanna remember the guys that made it illegal to shoot a lighted sight pin are the same guys that can shoot a shadow instinctively in the dark[8D]

That's where the electronic * came in

Dan

Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

I've killed a couple P&Y bucks. One of them qualified all the way around. I was useing a 50% let-off bow. I haven't entered any of them into the record books. For one You have to pay like $25 to get in there book. Which I thought was retarded. I don't need to pay noone $25 to know My buck scores over 125".
Donating a little $ to an organizationwhich supports your bowhunting rights is retarded huh???

The measurervolunteered their time to scoreyour buck for FREE and then gave you the option of putting it in the record book for a $25 fee.

I have entered bucks to P&Y and have never thought of the $25 being a big deal and have never understood why others make such a fuss over it.Nothing is free in this world...get over it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I starting to think that it's wrong to even measure antlers.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I liked 65% letoff when I shot it, but I much prefer 80% today. I personally would Not go back.

You wanna remember the guys that made it illegal to shoot a lighted sight pin are the same guys that can shoot a shadow instinctively in the dark[8D]

That's where the electronic * came in

Dan
Ok then. I might as well hunt all night then, nobody would know!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

Donating a little $ to an organizationwhich supports your bowhunting rights is retarded huh???

The measurervolunteered their time to scoreyour buck for FREE and then gave you the option of putting it in the record book for a $25 fee.

I have entered bucks to P&Y and have never thought of the $25 being a big deal and have never understood why others make such a fuss over it.Nothing is free in this world...get over it.
Right on Cooter!! Well said!!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Heck, a lot of our mature deer wont make 125. I suppose it's possible, depending on when he starts going down hill.....my 4.5y/o didnt go but 110 and some change......gross.....and thats often the case around here with 4.5y/os....Id imagine theyd put on enough to gross 125 at 5.5 and possibly 6.5, but thats a rarity around here.

Quick Reply: Pope and Young disqualification??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.