Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve! >

Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve!

The first buck here i took on Christmas Eve at 4:45pm. I was at home and the wind was terrible and hot and torrential rains and it had been that way for 3 days. Well about 1:40 i was looking out the windows and the sun was coming out and the wind stopped. I ran and looked at the weatherbug and it said it was suppose to drop to 40 that night. My wife was cooking and baking and she looks at me with that "look". She says " You want to go hunting dont you?" I was like well yea lol. She says " Go ahead i am just cooking and the weather is clearing i bet the bucks will come out this evening." So i was like i bet your right! So fast forward i race to my favorite public WMA and make the 35 minute walk to a Loc On i had put up a week earlier but havent hunted yet. After sitting for about an hour i stand and look behind me, and about 175 yards in the woods i see 2 deer. Then i realize they are both bucks and one of them is a good one!! I almost grunted but then decided these guys have heard all the grunts and can calls all season, so i decided to be quiet and wait. Sure enuff about 30 minutes later the bigger one steps out and is headed toward my shooting lane. I then realize that in my haste i forgot my range finder! luckily when i hung the stand i had ranged a tree in that area at 43 yards. He steps out just a few yards on the other side. I set my HHA slider to 46, grunted to stop him and squeezed the shot off. Watched the fletchings disappear thru the heart area! He ran about 80 yards and piled up!! The rage 2 blade drilled him thru the heart, awesome blood trail.

I took this pic the next morning

Well the weather turned bad with high winds, rain and 70 degree days thru Saturday, so i stayed home and played with the wife and kids. Sunday morning i get in the same stand and at 8am I see a buck cross about 80 yards down from me, i stand and start the adrenaline rush. Start getting that shaky feeling but really thinking i will never get a shot at him. Low and behold he turns and starts heading my way! He starts heading behind my stand, i range the only spot i have to shoot at 41 yards and quickly set my slider site to 41. I draw and wait..... I grunt, he stops and i release! Hit him perfect behind the shoulder. He only made it 30 yards before running into a tree and piling up!

This is a great year for me, That makes my 3rd buck taken off public land this year. And i got a few does to go with that :teeth:
The buck below is the one i got in Missouri on Nov 15th on a public CO.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve!

Now that is one AWESOME Christmas...

Congrats on some great bucks. Hope you didnt spend too much money on Christmas presents, cuz I think your taxidermy bill just went up
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iknew something was missing from Santas team this year! Congrats
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ill bet that was the happiest christmas of your life
Old 12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sure is an awesome year. Those are some good shots too. Congrats on all of the success.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bucks, congrats.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now that's one kick ass Christmas right there!! That buck in the last pic is a real slammer.Congrats. I'd be happy to get a shot at just one buck before our season ends.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's how you close out a season! Congrats
Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are some nice buck. nice job, thats one heck of a christmas present.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are some great bucks you got there, congrats just goes to show you doing leg work in the woods really pays off.

Quick Reply: Downed 2 nice bucks on Christmas Eve!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.