Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BH didn't open, pics added >

BH didn't open, pics added

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH didn't open, pics added

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday evenings hunt- BH didn't open

ORIGINAL: Germ

Slow your arrow down, I like 250-260 FPS.
I'm already shooting a Mathews.[8D]
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Those shooting fixed blades, what are your patterns beyond25 yds.? For those shooting fixed blades, I am glad that you are satisfied with your choice but this is your choice. I changed from fixed to rage 2 blade and it was the right decision for me, but I am not about to change your mind. I am 4/5 pass throughs and all have dropped within sight since my switch. The 1 non-pass through was on a bird and it hit the opposite wing socket and almost tour the wing and socket from the bird, which fell of the log and flapped a few times. For me, it is hard for me to change back but I will need more success stories before jumping entirely on the band wagon. I will say that it sucks paying $40 for 3 BHs. Sure wouldbe nice to be the guy that invented them.
I have no flight issues with my thunderheads out as far as I’m willing to shoot them (which for practice purposes is about 60 yds)
If your heads spin true on your arrow, it is not rocket science to achieve field point accuracy with any decent fixed blade head.
Exactly! When mechanicals are used to get good groups or good arrow flight then, IMO, they are used for the wrong reason.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Those shooting fixed blades, what are your patterns beyond25 yds.? For those shooting fixed blades, I am glad that you are satisfied with your choice but this is your choice. I changed from fixed to rage 2 blade and it was the right decision for me, but I am not about to change your mind. I am 4/5 pass throughs and all have dropped within sight since my switch. The 1 non-pass through was on a bird and it hit the opposite wing socket and almost tour the wing and socket from the bird, which fell of the log and flapped a few times. For me, it is hard for me to change back but I will need more success stories before jumping entirely on the band wagon. I will say that it sucks paying $40 for 3 BHs. Sure wouldbe nice to be the guy that invented them.
I have no flight issues with my thunderheads out as far as I’m willing to shoot them (which for practice purposes is about 60 yds)
If your heads spin true on your arrow, it is not rocket science to achieve field point accuracy with any decent fixed blade head.
Exactly! When mechanicals are used to get good groups or good arrow flight then, IMO, they are used for the wrong reason.

So with amazing results and arrow flight with mechanicals....I should switch to fixed blades and tune my broadheads to the arrow and fletchings?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: niehenke

Ryan,
With just about any decent BH's, if you get it to spin test true, you should be able to get it to fly nearly as well as FP's, but you do have to tweak a little to get there. Slick Tricks fly as well as anything I've ever shot, and I feel as confident with a ST Mag on the tip of my arrow as I do with a FP out there. At 50yds, my ST shoot just like my FP's. I punched a ST Mag through the spin of a deer, sharpened the blades back up, put it on and arrow spin tested it, and promptly put it right in the 3" Bullseye on my BH target from 40yds!!!! That same BH had already been through a pair of coyotes as well.

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

So with amazing results and arrow flight with mechanicals....I should switch to fixed blades and tune my broadheads to the arrow and fletchings?
Pat,
One thing you may find is that your bow isn't exactly "perfectly tuned." I can set a bow up, walk-back tune it with FP, and think I'm pretty good shooting "Archer's Minute of Angle (which is about 1" groupings per 10yds from target Ex: 5" group at 50yds)" but then I can throw BH's on and find the rest actually needs raised a tiny bit and moved a tiny bit to the left, then re-zero everything, and get a 3.5-4" group at 50yds, and put BH's in a similar sized group at the same time. For a low Draw-weight shooter, Expandables aren't or SHOULDN'T (I've been unimpressed watching some TV bowhunters with their shots) be an option, therefore, they NEED to tune to get BH's to hit where the need them!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

No, if you are using mechanicals to mitigate tuning problems then you should correct the tuning problems.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hunting partner,when he comes in to town put a slick Trick through a shoulder this year and it busted into several pieces,glad there aren't issues with fixed blade heads either. He did recover the buck.

Fixed blade heads will never fly like field points,they can and do fly very well when tuned properly and will even have the same poi,but they will never be as forgiving.Assuming they have over 1" cutting diameter.Speed is definately an enemy to fixed heads.

I shot Mechanicals for years for this very reason and I put on fixed heads to see where they hit when I am tuning. Both my current rigs will shoot the same poi with fixed heads but I still prefer Rocket Steelheads over anything on the market(atleast what I have seen and tried)

The 2 biggest issues I am having with them is noise(rattle) and cost.Next year,I will most likely be using some fixed blade heads I already have or Wasp fixed heads.I can buy 6 of them for what 3 of most broadheads today cost.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I'm wondering why the blades were spotless. No hair, no blood, no meat, no dirt.....nothing. Not to mention the fact that there was very little blood other than on the vanes. I would post a pic of the blades, but at this point I'd probably be accused of washing the blades off .[&:]
I have shot numerous deer over the years that the BH had no or little blood/hair butthe back 3/4 of the arrow was soaked in blood.

Stuff happens and not 2 shots look or do the same when it comes to: blood on the arrow, blood trail, penetration, how far the deer runs, reaction of the deer and so on.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy had the same problem with those same broadheads 2 years ago. He's a Slick Trick user now.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

My buddy had the same problem with those same broadheads 2 years ago. He's a Slick Trick user now.
Is this the same guy on another forum that thinks when the Slick Trickblades shattered onimpact of bonethat it wasn't BH failure?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: annika3

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

Is this the same guy on another forum that thinks when the Slick Trickblades shattered onimpact of bonethat it wasn't BH failure?
Is there a Broadhead stronger than a Slick Trick? Steel and Stainless Steel construction.I don't know of anything that is totally indestructible.

I'll gladly shoot any medium with Tricks against any other head out there to perform a toughness test.

I guarantee you they'll be close to the tops in several areas of testing.

Dan

Quick Reply: BH didn't open, pics added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.