Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Octane rest VS Whisker B. >

Octane rest VS Whisker B.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Octane rest VS Whisker B.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Octane rest VS Whisker B.

well i splerged last weekend on my bow and i bought a new rest. i got an octane. not the pro just the regular octane rest. is this a good rest? my arrow is kinda loose in the rest but i think it works good. also is it a better rest that a Whisker B???
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Octane rest VS Whisker B.

I shoot a regular whisker biscuit, ive heard of some guys having trouble with fast wearing bristles on the hostage's, cant speak from personal experience though.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Octane's have been getting some bad press over the rapid wear of the brushes. Apparently the newer version isn't as bad. The design concept certainly seems good though even if they haven't quite tweeked it yet. The bisquit is on tens of thousands of bows and just keeps on doing what it needs to every season. I am taking off my QAD ultra Pro HD and going back to a WB this season.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The octanes bristles do wear faster thana WB ever will. That being said, i have a wb deluxe for sale if your interested, pm me if youd like and ill tell ya why...
Derek
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you using the Hostage Pro instead of the WB?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using the Hostage Pro for 2008 season. The 2009 model has the improved bristles that should not wear out. I have to order some for my current rest.

Hostage Pro IS the best hunting rest on the market today(IMO). Here is why I think why it is the best.

1. Quiet - the rest is almost silent when pulling my bow back.
2. Tough - I dropped my bow this year and the rest came through like a champ.
3. Accurate and Consistant arrow flight
4. Allows me to be mobile and stalk
5. Zero Fletching Contact

All my bows will have Hostage Pro rest on them. Being I am just a hunter.

It's simple, Quiet, accurate and it works great!!!

EDIT

Let me add I think Aluminum arrows are quieter than carbons.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

I have been using the Hostage Pro for 2008 season. The 2009 model has the improved bristles that should not wear out. I have to order some for my current rest.

Hostage Pro IS the best hunting rest on the market today(IMO). Here is why I think why it is the best.

EDIT

Well said Gary! Even though I prefer a dropaway (Limb Driver in particular) I have a bow setup with a Hostage Pro and it works very well.

Dan
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Site Bouncer

EDIT

Gary, (or anyone else who shoots the Hostage Pro)

I like the idea of the Hostage Pro but I've got a question. I asked you this before but you didn't answer, can the arrow be pushed through the bristles and into the rest frame like with the regular Hostage rest? This was really a pain with the regular Hostage rest.

What I like about the Whisker Biscuit is that if the arrow is accidentally bumped it simply pops back into position.....very helpful while stalking.

Also with anything more than a 4deg offset do the vanes hit the bristles? This was very common on the NAP 360 and the regular Hostage rest. It's why Nap changed the 360 and switched from the steel prongs to the brushes as well.....didn't help though. Again with the Whisker Biscuit you have even bristle contact at all times. With the regular hostage rest I found the ends of my vanes would smack against the sides of the bristles while leaving the rest causing flight problems. Sometimes (with a helical fletch)they would start to cut into the bristles midway through as well.

I like the Hostage Probut I'm sticking with the Whisker Biscuit till I find out more about the Hostage Pro. The regular Hostage rest sucks. I had one to experiment with and it was not good at all.....I gave it away.

So those who have used the Hostage Pro......enlighten me.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the idea of the Hostage Pro but I've got a question. I asked you this before but you didn't answer, can the arrow be pushed through the bristles and into the rest frame like with the regular Hostage rest? This was really a pain with the regular Hostage rest.
yes a good hit will push it threw, I have 4 degree off set and I am threw just fine. Anymore and I would not be able to pss clean threw.

It's a trade off I know. I can get good arrow flight with my setup, I stalk last night threw a CRP field with 0 issues.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Site Bouncer

yes a good hit will push it threw, I have 4 degree off set and I am threw just fine. Anymore and I would not be able to pss clean threw.

It's a trade off I know. I can get good arrow flight with my setup, I stalk last night threw a CRP field with 0 issues.
Thanks bud..

Yep, I had the same experience with the regular Hostage rest. That one was even worse (arrow falling through) because you couldn't adjust it like the pro. I also found that I couldn't shoot anything more that a 4deg offset as well.

Hmmmm.......Now that they got the wear problem fixed I might put a Hostage Pro on my backup bow and put it through it's paces. I think the Whisker Biscuit is going to remain my rest of choice though......tough to improve on it, it's a pretty darn good hunting rest for sure.

Quick Reply: Octane rest VS Whisker B.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.