Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Average distance a deer runs after being arrowed >

Average distance a deer runs after being arrowed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Average distance a deer runs after being arrowed

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Average distance a deer runs after being arrowed

Let me think. Last ten critters with a muzzy 3 blade head. [:-]

Solid heart shot/double lung BB, 30 yards.

heart shot hog, 2 yards. (turned to chomp teeth at me, took a few steps backwards, fell over)

Low heart shot buck/1 lung, 75 yards.

Double lung doe, 30 yards.

heart/1 lung doe, 50 yards.

Liver/lung Buck, 60 yards.

Double lung doe/partial heart, 40 yards.

Liver/lung doe, 40 yards.

Double lung BB, 30 yards.

Heart/lung Buck, 120 yards. (go figure)

= 47.7 yards for an average.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anywhere from 200yards to 45 yards. WIth my rage 3blades, they dont go far when the arrow is put in the right spot
Derek
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it has been said that 7 seconds on a double lung hit.That can be 20 yards or 100.This will usually have very good blood trails and anyone that has a little patience should be able to recover these quite easily.

However,a mature buck can be a little more stubborn.This is what you see most on TV.Mine went a good 200 yards this year but not sure if I had good enough penetration to hit the second lung.I never looked when I drug them out on the ground.[&:]
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the input. I guess deer don't run as far as I thought they would with a good shot. I was a little worried about getting into bow hunting in the thick woods at our property if I had to track and retrieve from long distances.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had one go over eighty yards. Most go 20-30 yards. I have had one that dropped in it's tracks.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

Thanks guys for the input. I guess deer don't run as far as I thought they would with a good shot. I was a little worried about getting into bow hunting in the thick woods at our property if I had to track and retrieve from long distances.
I may be the ODD man out, but I've had them run a little farther than a lot of guys have posted. I shot a nice fat doe last year that went 130yds with double lung and liver hit, full pass-through w/ a 1.25" cut BH!!!! I've had a heartshot, perfect heart, oddly enough, both lungs in good condition, almost straight down shot, go 50. Most of my deer have gone probably on average 50-60yds on GOOD shots. The BIG doe I shot Friday was double lung and heart shot, and she went about 50, stopped and looked around for a few seconds and fell over dead with 5 deer within 25yds of her. But she likely could have gone 75-80 if she'd have stayed on a run, and she also went UPHILL, oddly enough, but I don't believe she ever knew she was shot. My shortest not counting SPINE shots was 18yds.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pop both bubbles in the center on a relaxed deer and it's 30 yards or less

Both lungs far enough back to get some liver and the deer usually goes 100 to 150yards

Hit the heart and count on a harder run butstill usually 120 yards or less.

Liver hit is the most unpredictable. They can go right down or last for hours. A liver shot deer will lay down quickly but not necessarily expire quickly. Best to wait 4-6 hours and he wont be far.

Bad hit that happens to catch an artery, lethal but also very unpredictable. Sure sign is a heavy trail at first that is narrow with spaced out puddles. Thats almost always a muscle hit. The puddles indicate that he stopped or slowed down. Back off and wait. If you gat an artery, he'll be there. If you didn't, the deer will often recover.

Guts, they usually lay down close but if bumped once, they may go far. Never follow a gut hit till at least 6 hours later. Better yet, wait overnight if weather allows. Bump him twice and you might as well forget finding it before the crows do
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of mine lately don't make it past 50-60 yds
Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Average=45 yds for the deer i have shot.
Last year i shot a buck quatering away and took out lung and the top third of the heart and the deer ran 90 yds.
This year i shot a buck quatering away the arrow entered behind the last rib and came out a few inches behind the shoulder and the deer made it 15 yds.
It all depends on the shot
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 AM

After 22 bowkills, I expect a tracking job of about 50-60 yards with a double lung hit on a deer.

Quick Reply: Average distance a deer runs after being arrowed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.