HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Thumb Release for Hunting.??????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/280404-thumb-release-hunting.html)

tschammel 12-29-2008 07:26 AM

Thumb Release for Hunting.???????

I have a question. I want to explore using a hunting release this next year for hunting. Im sick of having the release strapped to my wrist in cold weather situations and I've shot some thumb/tention releases and really like how they feel. I was wondering what a good model would be for hunting and along withusing a "D loop" on my string.The only catch is that I have to buy it for Cabelas because of the gift card situation. What kind of calipars are good for useing with the loop?? If anyone uses one please give me some advise on what one to try out....Thanks!

gutshot 12-29-2008 08:37 AM

RE: Thumb Release for Hunting.???????

I use a TRU Ball Chappy Boss and it work really good with a loop. I still have a wrist strap because the first time that I hunted with it I had it hooked on the loop while I was moving a stand and the trigger tripped and I had to track it down in the leaves so I bought a strap.

tschammel 12-29-2008 09:15 AM

Gutshot

Thanks for the reply. Do you use the rope head on the release or the forked pronged head. I see that the release comes with interchangeble heads on it.Do you use the rope with the d loop??? That just doesn't sound right but if it works it works.

gutshot 12-29-2008 11:28 AM

The one that I have is a caliper head and I use a rope loop tied on the string.

Rick James 12-29-2008 03:01 PM

I've been using the TRU Ball ST-3 for about 3 years now, and I love it. The open hook design is super easy to get on/off the loop without having to cock/uncock the release.

MGH_PA 12-29-2008 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I've been using the TRU Ball ST-3 for about 3 years now, and I love it. The open hook design is super easy to get on/off the loop without having to cock/uncock the release.
X2. I bought this release on recommendation from Matt. I intended to use it only for target, but I decided to try it out this season, and won't be going back to an index caliper release. You can also use a tether/wrist strap with the ST-3 which makes it nice to keep from droppng it to the ground;)

cody_lee 12-29-2008 06:45 PM

I bought the Tru Fire 3D Hunter just to get started in these style releases and I love it. I've told myself I'll buy a nicer one, usually means more expensive but I dont' think I'll have to as I feel pretty comfortable with this one. I'll have to hold the more expensive ones in my hand before I buy them though. It seems that I can hold the bow much steadier now, barely any movement. That's something I noticed right away with it, made it much more enjoyable.

nick_bleuer76 12-29-2008 07:26 PM

I bought a Tru-bal T handle release, it was only $75, I think it works great.

pheasantfanatic 12-29-2008 07:33 PM

I have the Tru-Fire 3D Hunter and I love it.......it is a lot easier to keep your hands warm on the stand when you don't have a release strapped on your wrist...

Matt/TN 12-29-2008 08:13 PM

I use the upgraded version of the release Matt uses, I have the ST-360. I love it. I use the wrist strap with it and it works great. The only down side, is unless you tuck it into your sleeve it clanks against everything.