Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which climber is for me? >

Which climber is for me?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which climber is for me?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which climber is for me?

Alright guys, i want a new climber for next year and i cant decide between the Lone Wolfhand climber or the sit and climb.So ive got some questions aboutthe hand climber,im a bigger guy, 6'1", 220 and the seat looks small and dosen't look comfortable at all. So is it? Also it looks like it is hard to climb with?, ive never seen one in person so i have no idea. i would really like to get the hand climber but im just worried about those 2 issues. Any help and suggestions would be much appriciated!

Wayne

Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which climber is for me?

Wayne you should really take a long hard look at the Tree Walker climbers.

Dan
Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

You can always put a pad on top of the seat. As for climbing, thats up to you....do you want to pull up using your arms or sit on a bar as you pull up the bottom. I prefer the sitnclimb, but just as many prefer the hand climbing model. You really need to see one in person first and preferably try one first.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

MOhunter - I have both and use the hand climber 90 % of the time. I only break out the sit and climb if I am going to do an all day hunt and spend most of the time in the tree. For 4 hour hunts in the tree I stay with the hand climber. It is more of a comfort thing. Also, bow hunting I like the hand climber, gun hunting, the sit and climb is pretty good.

I do plan on upgrading to the new seat configuration on the sit and climb next year. This could have me taking it in the woods a bit more.

1. I would ask. What is the average time you plan on being in your stand for most hunts.

2. Do you bow hunt more than gun

Hope this info helps your choice.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
I looked at their site and i really like the way they look. My only question is are they as quiet to setup as the lone wolfs?

Wayne
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pick00l

MOhunter - I have both and use the hand climber 90 % of the time. I only break out the sit and climb if I am going to do an all day hunt and spend most of the time in the tree. For 4 hour hunts in the tree I stay with the hand climber. It is more of a comfort thing. Also, bow hunting I like the hand climber, gun hunting, the sit and climb is pretty good.

I do plan on upgrading to the new seat configuration on the sit and climb next year. This could have me taking it in the woods a bit more.

1. I would ask. What is the average time you plan on being in your stand for most hunts.

2. Do you bow hunt more than gun

Hope this info helps your choice.
1. I would say 4-5 hours. But i would like to start hunting all day somestarting next year

2. I bow hunt more. I only gun hunt 2 weekend out of the year

Wayne
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I faced the same problem as you two years ago. I mostly bowhunt and I do several 5-8 hour/dayhunts, so I picked the Sit and Climb. My "worries" about it were no more by the third time I used it including the practice in the backyard. I can quietly get up a tree very quickly and when the bar is pulled back under the seat, and the seat is adjusted properly, I have a very open front and sides. My first deer I shot out of my new climber was 7 yards almost directly behind me and it was a steep shot angle since I was 22 feet up. Nothing about the stand was in the way or altered my shot. Now, this year I put on a net seat that I like even better and is more comfy. Even if you get one or the other, you can always buy the top of the other climber and the platform is the same. Or I hear of folks wanting to trade a Sit and CLimb top for a hand climber top or vise versa ocassionally.

If you are worried about the Sit and Climb being "bowhunter friendly", don't be. I also like the fact that I can tighten my harness up high, flip the bar up and catch a quick nap if need be. I don't do this much but when you hunt all day for a week and a half like I do every year then you can get sleepy. I usually do this after my afternoon setup early in the day.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 PM

I have a Summit Open Shot Deluxe...I really like it. I have a few friends that have the Razor, but it's big! I haven't seen the Lone Wold stands, but they look comfy. I like my OpenShot.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbilly archer

I faced the same problem as you two years ago. I mostly bowhunt and I do several 5-8 hour/dayhunts, so I picked the Sit and Climb. My "worries" about it were no more by the third time I used it including the practice in the backyard. I can quietly get up a tree very quickly and when the bar is pulled back under the seat, and the seat is adjusted properly, I have a very open front and sides. My first deer I shot out of my new climber was 7 yards almost directly behind me and it was a steep shot angle since I was 22 feet up. Nothing about the stand was in the way or altered my shot. Now, this year I put on a net seat that I like even better and is more comfy. Even if you get one or the other, you can always buy the top of the other climber and the platform is the same. Or I hear of folks wanting to trade a Sit and CLimb top for a hand climber top or vise versa ocassionally.

If you are worried about the Sit and Climb being "bowhunter friendly", don't be. I also like the fact that I can tighten my harness up high, flip the bar up and catch a quick nap if need be. I don't do this much but when you hunt all day for a week and a half like I do every year then you can get sleepy. I usually do this after my afternoon setup early in the day.
Thanks for the advice, if i do get a lone wolf, where can i get this net seat?

Wayne
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
I looked at their site and i really like the way they look. My only question is are they as quiet to setup as the lone wolfs?

Wayne
Wayne the Tree Walkers are very popular in this area, and I'm sure they are in others as well.
Many guys have sold their Lone Wolfs to buy a Tree Walker. A friend of mine told me a couple of weeks ago he was selling his Lone Wolf.
Guys around here that have used both prefer the Tree Walker.

Dan

Quick Reply: Which climber is for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.