Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DEER SUFFERS GRUESOME DEATH >

DEER SUFFERS GRUESOME DEATH

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DEER SUFFERS GRUESOME DEATH

Old 12-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DEER SUFFERS GRUESOME DEATH

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Steve, I do not think so. Very possible, I guess. But why would a coyote drag it out there?
2 years ago I was following a deer track on the Ice on the river behind my house and all of a sudden the tracks were running and It wasn't long and there was 2 to 3 coyote tracks running to. 100 yards up layed a doe fawn on the ice dead and half chewed up. It couldn't of been more then 12 hours old being I was down in that spot the day before checking traps with my brother.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Hmm, interesting story!

I'm just not sure. It is defiantly possible, but the ice here is still not very thick.

Smart coyote!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tough way to go either way. Mother Nature Is one cruel bitch!!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:34 PM

My guess would be coyotes.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Turkey Vultures probably...a yote couldn't and wouldn't walk on ice...I don't think? Much like wolves they are scared of the water....
Old 12-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen footage of deer in big trouble out on the ice with no threats around at all. Depends on the ice conditions, it may be that this deer exhausted itself just trying to walk across, but its hooves kept slipping out from under him and he laid down and froze in, it happens when there is a thaw and slippery with water on ice! Up here in Ontario we routinely see news stories about rescue efforts for geese that have literally frozen into the water. The deer may have been dead (or near-dead) and then been found by predators, but unable to run.
Regardless, I agree that falling to hunter is not as cruel as mother nature can be.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

All good points guys!

I guess it happens more then I thought!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thats nature for ya!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw that happen just this yr. I was sitting in my satnd and a black lab chased a young deer onto the ice when it was real thin. The deer fell through in the middle of the river. 5 days later there was nothing to be found........ except the blood stained ice. That black lab kept coming back too........ too bad it never got w/in range. I talked to some neighbours and they all wanted to see the end of this dog. Next yr...... I'll have my trophy Lab. Funniest thing in the world is the owner is a deer lover....... won't let anyone hunt his property and illegally feeds them. Wow I'm gonna kill 2 birds with one stone. CO's are gonna find out about his feeding and I'm gonna shoot his dog.

That dang dog chased a 120+ buck away from me........ clear across the field the buck went. I never really thought about it till now. I had seen deer all season until the ice was on the river and the dog could cross. Sightings went down to once every 2-3 sits...... compared to seeing 4-5 per sit. Dog is catfish chum. Landowner says shoot him too.
Sorry for the rant.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Up here coyotes have been known to chase deer onto the ice to make the kill easier...they know the deer have a hard time getting there footing on the ice...

Quick Reply: DEER SUFFERS GRUESOME DEATH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.