Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!!  (Pic's now up on Pg 2) >

WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!! (Pic's now up on Pg 2)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!! (Pic's now up on Pg 2)

Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!! (Pic's now up on Pg 2)

Guys, I finally had a good night hunting this year. I know some of you think I'm a jackhole for saying that since I've arrowed a couple deer already, and I understand, but tonight was one of those nights that you dream about short of killing a big buck. It was a little rainy and misty some of the time, but about 1645 I had about 10 deer come into my area. I had set up a little differently than I had on my NW Ohio plot
and I had a couple small bucks and 8 skinheads come in, they actually went past me, and something on the top of the ridge spooked them and they came running by me, making me think my night was over. Well, not 15 minutes later, they filtered back in, and there were a total of 12 that I counted, EACH and EVERY on passing within 35yds of me, and this time once they got about half passed me, the herd matriarch, same old doe that had just took them back away from me started getting tense, I watch as she starts sticking her nose in the air sensing something is wrong. (Now my heart is POUNDING [YES, I GET THAT FEELING WITH DOES AS WELL], because she's only 15-16 yds away, and she's got her nose in the air and she's looked at everything BUT ME.) As she passes behind a decent sized tree out in front of me, I go ahead and draw, figuring that I'm about to be blown out, and she's probably the smartest deer in the woods, and as she clears the tree, I have to wait for her to move about 6-7ft until she's clear and GOD BLESSED ME with her moving that distance without noticing me, and when she was clear, I THWAAAACKED her!!!!! The shot was beautiful, the Slick Trick Mag (Thanks DAN aka MEANV) punched through both lungs and the bottom of here heart, just barely piercing one of the venticles, and she bolted about 50 yds, looked around still trying to figure out what had just happened, and then fell. All total, it took her about 8-10 seconds to be dead!!!!! After she'd fallen, there were probably 5-6 deer hanging around her, as if waiting for her to get up, then they realized she was dead, and bolted off as I started to climb down the tree. I looked up to the sky, and THANKED GOD!!!!! for such a wonderful night. I celebrated my wedding anniversary a few years ago (2005) killing a herd matriarch I owed a little something (if any of you have ever read some of my stories, you may know she cost me a shot at the LARGEST buck I've ever seen in the woods). This doe was a little different, not nearly as much "owed," but still, the smartest deer in the woods and a very weary and respectable foe. Again, I'm pumped about this. I also got to was 2 of the 3 bucks, (6 and 7pt 2.5yr olds, both with a little bit of palmation to their racks) that were in the 12 spar a little and the little fork horn just stood back and watched them. I got to share the gutting process with a couple nephews and neices, and they were all too interested in checking everything out. Bad new was it appears she was pregnant with TRIPLETS, but again, that's one of the risks we take hunting late season deer. Too bad that those 3 deer won't see life this spring, but their mama died a quick and relatively painless death, before the MZL guys could have at her. Not sure of an age, I'd guess somewhere in the 5-6yr group. She's the BIGGEST BODIED doe I've ever killed, and pulled up in the barn, her rear feet are about 8 ft of the ground and her head is still touching the floor!!!!! (Edit, I didn't read the thread very well, the deer's head to toe was about 8ft, not 9ft, sorry for the typo)

The beers are going down nice tonight!!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Default RE: WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!!

Congrats!! any pics
Old 12-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rage2blade

Congrats!! any pics
I'm out of town at the in-laws, but when I get home Sunday, I'll post up pic's. That ST Mag left a HUGE gaping hole in her. And she is ENORMOUS by our standards. I'm about 240#, and I think she was damned near as heavy as me.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doug, Congrats!! It's a nice feeling to fool an Ol' Doe enough to knock'er down.

Slick Tricks have not let me down since I began using them in 03. The New Grizz Tricks I used this year definitely did not disappoint. 6 animals Shot and I never had to Blood Trail one, but I could have.

They just didn't get that far!

Can't wait to see the pics!!

Dan
Old 12-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Congrats! Whether you killed her the first week of the season or now, she wasn't going to have triplets.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The beers are going down nice tonight!!!!!
Have one for me!!!

Congratulation's!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well done, I am always on the look out for a giant Doe! Congrats, thats no easy feat! looking forward to pics!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! That was an awesome story...!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the deer. That sounds like a very exciting hunt.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait why does he become exempt from the manlaw??? Sack kicks are in order (on a serious note congrats on shooting a Giant doe 240 is bigger than any I've ever seen). So now with that said time to pay up lol

Ryan

Quick Reply: WHOOHOO, Herd Matriarch TRICKED!!! (Pic's now up on Pg 2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.