Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your best hunting tip? >

What's your best hunting tip?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your best hunting tip?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: What's your best hunting tip?

Use binoculars if you have them. If you don't have any get some. Always wear a safety harness when you are on stand. Enjoy yourself while you are in the woods. Hunting is a therapy for me no a job.....
Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but specifically, NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH DEER!!!! You and I and ALL of us HUMANS have the EYES of a predator, and locking eyes just once will END A HUNT many times over. The big doe I killed Friday night never had a CLUE where I was, even though she'd looked more or less right at me a couple times partly because my camo matched the environment, and partly because I only looked at her with one eye through the cam of my bow.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but specifically, NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH DEER!!!! You and I and ALL of us HUMANS have the EYES of a predator, and locking eyes just once will END A HUNT many times over. The big doe I killed Friday night never had a CLUE where I was, even though she'd looked more or less right at me a couple times partly because my camo matched the environment, and partly because I only looked at her with one eye through the cam of my bow.
You know what OH, I also believe that you should never make eye contact. The big boy I shot this year looked directly at me but instantly I started to close my eyes and kept them open just enough to see what he was doing. When he couldn't figure me out and proceeded to continue walking, giving me a quartering away shot, I drilled him. I've made eye contact with lesser deer before and they just bolted.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a tip for guys that hunt the same tree more than once on public land.
Don't trim every branch that you need gone for the hunt. Tie some para cord to the branches and "bend" them out of the way and remove the cord when done hunting. That way it does not even look like a stand location when you are not theree and it will keep the area "new". To go with this, "Don't forget your cord!" lol
Dandbuck
Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you accidentallysleep through the alarm DO NOT chalk it up as a missed morning, so what if you get out there an hour or two late, i can almost promise you will see more deer between 9:30 to 11than you do in that first hour of light
Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

i live in southwest ohio and i got busted by a big buck during gun season becasue i was staring at him in the eyes. good tip
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you build it they will come.