Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer sightings this season >

Deer sightings this season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer sightings this season

Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer sightings this season

Doe and fawn sightings were normal to maybe a tad higher. 1.5 year old buck sightings were high. 2.5 year old buck sightings- low. Mature buck sightings (3.5 and up)- terrible!!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were down for me also, we had a pretty harsh winter and it took its toll. didnt see nearly as many fawns this year.
And the wolves getting out of control dosen't help neither.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

mine was way down....

2 factors i know kinda killed my hunting.

1 is the lack of acorns. pretty much all my spots are in the oaks...even if they are funnels, near bedding areas, or whatever, they just werent what they normally were without the oaks. and my big woods hunting was crushed...seen 1 small deer(probably a BB) and got winded by another in MANY hours of hunting multiple spots through the season in my big woods land...SAD...i just couldnt find the deer..or fresh deer sign...

2..at home on my "honey hole hill" a new farmer moved in and planted corn in a field that was never farmed as long as i could remember...it bordered my spot...im in a saddle and surrounded by bedding areas...corn and hay infront of me like always...but with the corn beside me, they were likely living IN the corn(very common around here once any pressure starts..exspecially with the creek down on the other side of the corn!) and could been coming right out of the bedding into the corn where i couldnt hunt...i seen SOME deer...but not as many as usual...and not as many bucks...i actually had does and BBs roaming kinda heavy which is ODD...usually if i see deer in there, its likely going to be a buck from my past years expirience in there...sure i see the same family of does and younguns once in a while, but this year i had more..which i wont complain about...just found it odd...only seen 3 different buck there all year...pushing that same area in rifle season kinda made me happy i seen what i seen....and that was after the corn was harvested..

im still learning the bowhunting game....im finding the smallest things can make or break my hunts....this season i learned i need new land, more spots, and i have to have confidence in more spots. i moved to a new spot on a whimm and seen more deer that morning than pretty much any day of the season...i just have to have confidence in myself to do that...i just kinda "know" the honey hole hill is usually good, and i only get to hunt it once a week so i usually dont have confidence to just hunt elsewhere...though i know ALOT of land to beable to confidently just hunt somewhere else and likely see deer....i just gotta keep it in my head that i CAN hunt elsewhere and see deer...when one spot isnt producing i gotta move...and i am going to make a huge effort at more/better land to hunt...my portion of the township was just sad this season period...VERY VERY few legal bucks...only a handful of anything to get half way excited over...

im learning....cant ask for more than that
Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say mine were about the same numbers wise. Buck sightings were a bit better this year than last.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

In So Cal...worse than usual, due to heavy gun hunting pressure.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Spike

My deer sightings were way up, but I attribute that more to finally getting on a nice piece of private land vs the public I have been hunting. I will be able to give a better comparison next year.

Mack34
Old 12-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that overall I have seen about the same number of deer that I usually see. However, I saw alot less does and more scrubby bucks than normal. This suprised me because on the trailcams during the summer, I had alot of good bucks. When the season started, I only saw two good bucks that I would have considered shooting. I guess the positve is that if all those scrubs I saw during the season make it, I should be loaded up next year. Still puzzleing about the numbers of does though.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty good for me, best year ive had so far.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Better then usual saw 150 plus deer. I only got about 45 sits in this year though but I saw more deer. Usually I got to hunt twice as many sits but now I work dayshift. Great year here in PA. Also deer sightings were up in Maryland also.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 AM

This is a very broad question. It really depends your availability to get out there. I have hunted pretty much everday with a 3-4 days off every now and then. I've seen 100+ deer, taken one button buck, passed up coutless does, and 2 shooters. I'm still waitin' and prayin' for the big guy to come through....there's too many variables to say if it was bad or good. In the words of Roger Raglin...

"I had a pretty good day!"

Quick Reply: Deer sightings this season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.