Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking >

Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Do you guys that hunt like this have pre-determined trees that you use year after year or do you find them as you go throughout the season?
Not usually. I will go into an area I want to hunt and scout till I find what I am looking for. I set up right then and there, quietly. Then if that stand is exceptionally productive I will make a note of it and I will hunt it again, sometimes as many as 6 or 7 times a season. The thing I like about it is if I go into an area that I plan to hunt and I don't find the sign I am looking for, I know I can scout a new area or 1/4 mile away and I will be able to setup in THE tree that I need/want to. Or if I set up and the deer come through 60 yards away instead of 20 yards, I can get down and be in my new tree very quickly, hopefully before the next deer comes through.

Another thing I have done with much success is find a spot I want to hunt but may be unfamiliar with and not have previously scouted it, I can usually get pretty close to where deer movement "should" be on a map. I have a morning I want to hunt so I walk in with my stand/sticks on my back. As soon as it gets light enough to see I scout the immediate area. I almost always find sign and get setup with in 30 minutes- 1 hour after daylight. And usually, most of my deer sightings are late mornings anyway in these types of places. As I have said, it works well for me and I do this occassionally throughout the season.

As far as getting sweaty and "all that work"seting it up, I think it's as easy as my climber. Not a problem. I also will not leave a stand set up on public land where I hunt. Too many thieves out there. Sure I have a few spots where I would like to hang a stand and leave it but it just isn't an option for me at this point.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Where can a guy find these ucr's?
DougE
Go to AT and do a search for UCR's, should find them pretty easy. If not send me a PM and I will send a link.
HCH, got that video done for us yet? lol
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned

Here is the guy

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=666805
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link HCH. I'm gonna order one for a linesman belt strictly for hanging stands.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Spike

I use the tree saddle and love it. It weighs only 2 pounds and I use it with the Lone Wolf minis weighing in at 3.5 pounds for three sticks. Quick to set up and hunting comfortably in a new ambush location every day.