Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking >

Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Key word....OLD!

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Disadvantages aswell as advantages.

I sweat too much to do this (I think).
Just out of shape and can't keep up with tough old guys
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Maybe so, lol. But even when I was in good shape 2 years ago...I sweated...alot. I just break a sweat pretty quickly.

And what I consider "alot" when hunting, is basically sweating at all. I just feel like im sounding an airhorn if I start sweating and scenting it up while in the woods. I know it probably doesn't matter all that much if any at all, just perceived.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Disadvantages as well as advantages.

I sweat too much to do this (I think).
Just out of shape and can't keep up with tough old guys

I think it has more to do with it being pretty hot here in the early season,which starts in September.It really doesn't usually get good and cold untill novemember.

Germ,we talked about this at H&H and seems like it takes most about the same amount of time.There was a video on youtube where a guy showed how he carries his sticks up the tree and hung them,I liked what he was doing.

A treble style retrieval rope will also really help.I hook up to my stand but place my bow and pack beside the tree,then just use the rope to retrieve my gear without climbing back down.That really makes it nice.I would suggest adding weight to the rope though,it does blow around in the wind if you don't.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I have a spot where I can hang a stand and then just sneak in and climb up and in, there's no way in hell I'd hang and rehang in that spot. I'm still going to have hang on's in the key areas and then stay mobile with other stands be it my climber or other sticks and loc ons. This is especially true in the quick in after work spots.

The key with leaving a stand is doing everything right from concealment to not touching a thing with bare hands etc. Leaving the stand in the woods is only as good as you make it out to be as far as scent and eye appeal.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

A treble style retrieval rope will also really help.I hook up to my stand but place my bow and pack beside the tree,then just use the rope to retrieve my gear without climbing back down.That really makes it nice.I would suggest adding weight to the rope though,it does blow around in the wind if you don't.
This is so simple yet, ingenious! Can't believe I haven't thought of it. I don't make two trips...but it would be nice to lower the pack then the bow instead of climbing with it.

Im makin one right now.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

This is so simple yet, ingenious! Can't believe I haven't thought of it. I don't make two trips...but it would be nice to lower the pack then the bow instead of climbing with it.

Im makin one right now.
I stole mine.

One person that left a stand on our property came back to get the stand before I could load it up too.BUT,he got a good talkin to from my step dad about how the sheriff would be the next one to talk to him.AND,he knew he didn't have permission.Not a bad deal for him imo.The sad part,all he had to do was just ask and he could have gotten permission.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is a pic

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Bartender

Germ this past season was the first year I use them and loved it.
I should of practiced before the season as it took me about 25-30
to setup. I am going to review my log book but I can say this season
I had the most deer sighting in all my years for sure.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I kill from both every year and will always have at least one stand left in place for the reasons Rob stated.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I have hangons and didn't hang them last year. I usually hunt a different tree everytime I go hunting. Twice in the same tree for me is a lot of hunting in the same location.

Quick Reply: Lone Wolf hunters got me thinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.