Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a Blessed year! >

What a Blessed year!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a Blessed year!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM

Default What a Blessed year!

I was invited to hunt some property near Nash Oklahoma by a friend of mine, after about the third time, I took him up on it. Mind you I have never seen these places or even taken the time to google earth them....But, I know what kind of potential there is in this area of Northern Oklahoma. So, I head out on a Wednesday to hunt on Thursday and Friday. I met with my buddy Wednesday afternoon and shows me a couple of places I can hunt and tells me about a couple of nice bucks they have been seeing. Well, I sneak in on a narrow creek wed. evening and grunt and rattle in two little bucks.
The next morning I leave in the dark hoping I can find the place we went to first, the day before. Sure enough I find it and park on the east side of the section on the county road and wait for it to get light enough to see so I can start glassing this place to find a buck and a place to hunt it.
I finally move to the south side of the section and glass a decent 8pt.
but am about to leave for something bigger when I see another deer waaay
on the other end of the section....and he is big!
I talked with my buddy and figure out how to get in on this narrow stretch of winding creek...where to cross it etc.
After going maybe 1/4 mile in 2 hours I found this.......

Not including the bow....thats just for some perspective.
Anyhow you probably guessed I was a little excited.......found a nice walnut tree in a great funnel and open area......tied in one of my butt sling seats and a rope to pull up my bow...counted 9 little sapplings that needed brought down to open up clear shooting lanes.
So I got down and started sawing down the sapplings as quietly as possible. I was cutting the last one down when I got the "feeling" you know, when something is watching you.....sure enough at 60 yards there is a buck standing on the edge of the wheat field staring at me......a doe walking the edge, just barely in the cover in front of him. I laid flat on my belly and crawled to the creek bank....down and around the walnut tree my butt sling is in and up the creek bank to reach my bow, which is laying on the ground.
I roll over on my back, get an arrow out of the quiver and nock it.....ease up as gently as I can behind one tiny bush....with my bow in front of me to help break up my outline....and reach for my range finder. He is now staring at me from about 48yrds....and starts walking straight at me....he turns at about 40yrds broadside......I let the pin settle in behind his shoulder and let it fly..
thwack.......he went about 50 yards and piled up like a wrecked frieght train.

Although this is not the big buck...its actually the first one I glassed and was going to not hunt..........

God is sooooooooooo good.......I have been so blessed this year. What a priveledge it is!
I read where some of you have hunted for years to kill one or two deer....and hear the excitement in your stories, just to kill a deer. I happen to be fortunate enough to live in a place with liberal bag limits and great whitetail hunting.....I hope to never take it for granted. I love this stuff!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a Blessed year!

not a big buck, [&:] i think you need to look again!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Yo......Huntinman23......I didn't say he wasn't a big buck...I said he wasn't THE big buck...the one I actually went in to try and kill.......you should have seen him!!!!!!!!! And maybe you will next year....
Old 12-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet buck, congrats to you on a great year! Well done!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Buck and Story, Congrats.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, congratulations on a great buck. Great story also
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story and a heck of a buck!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on the daddy next year!