Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are you like? >

What are you like?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are you like?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are you like?

I have had so many emotions, disbelieve, elation, even bummed at a less than perfect shot, even though it may have been successful. I almost always have to take a seat, although this past Saturday, I whooped and took off running. It never gets old, never. But I'm sure I almost always look like an idiot.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like I was when I was 11 on my first deer...

I killed 7 deer this deer...

And Ishooooklike crazy.....I love this stuff.....Its in my blood on a daily basis...

As my wife watches dancing with the stars I'm dreaming about white-tails and the outdoors...well...ok....I love the chicks on dancing with the stars..

Later..
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM

I don't get excited, I put my head down for about 5 minutes and thank the Lord quietly for the sacrifice. Never the less I am still satisfied from the kill, if that makes any sense? Is this not the way that God designed us?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shake, alot.....particularly on buck but I'm also "pumped" on does.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Poorguy/Videos/?action=view&current=BBDinFilm.flv
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

It's really hard to explain. I don't get the shakes before or after. Not sure if it from hunting on the ground all these years or what. I really don't remember ever getting them to tell the truth. There is a rush but it doesn't affect me in any negative way. Usually the deer are on top of me. You are so zoned outwatching the deer... how it moves, what it is seeing andhowit is reacting before andwhile you are drawing, aiming and shooting. You are so wrapped up in not getting busted. The cold fingers/toes, billion bitingskeeters or cramped musclesare forgotten. Everything thing ceases to exist except the deer and moments leading up togetting a clean shot off.I absolutely love it.

Tim
Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Spike

I ususally start shaking after making a shot. If i know that i can sneak out without jumping the deer up, I'll come back in a couple hourswhen i can think clearly and track the deer. The adrenaline rush is what keeps me doing this year after year. I continue to say that there is no feeling in this world that even comes close to what it feels like to harvest a buck with a bow.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

If I ever act like one of those guys on TV, I hope somebody shoots ME.....
Agree 100 percent. I usually just sit and relax and take a few breaths and remember what I saw and what I think about the shot. I really don't get nervous or basketcase like before the shot. I do sometimes get a little excited but have developed a couple drills that push back the shakes. Preparing for and executing the shot have become pretty automatic. Everything goes on auto pilot from the minute I see the deer until I shoot. After the shot it's marking the deers escape route and listening. I sit and calm myself and think it over then slowly gather my gear to climb down. If the shot was good I'm usually out of the tree in about 5 minutes. I'll check the arrow and decide at that point the next move. It's all business until you find the deer from then on. When I find the deer there's always a rush and a silent "All Right, thank you Lord". I don't get "PUMPED".... that's for the TV stars. I'm tired of all the PUMPED PEOPLE. LOL I don't get "THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKIN' BOUT".... because there's noone there to talk about it with. Yes it's a rush, but I don't become a babbling,jumping, fist pumping, jerk off. It's me and the deer for a few quiet moments.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started Bow Hunting I shook so bad when theDeer walked in I didn't think I would ever get a shot at one,I have Rifle Hunted for over 30 years and the adrenaline rush of having to wait out aDeer until they are close enough for a Bow shot is uncompareable in the amount of torture or thrill of having a Deer so close toyou and having to wait and have the patients to let them get so close.In Oct of 2006 I was waiting in my climbing stand for a Doe to walk across the winter wheat food plot towards me when I heard something to my right,a nice 6-Point Buck crossed the edge of the adjoining field and jumped thedry creek bed and walked straight under my stand,I waited til he passed my stand,drew back my Bow and set my 20 yard pin on his vitals and pull the trigger on my release,the arrow hit him and passed all the way through laying on the ground as he ran off down the mowed path to theleft of my stand.He ran out of view and I waited impatiently trying to calm myself down after finally shooting a Deer with my Bow,I couldn't wait any longer so I lowered down my Bow,shimmed dwon the tree with my climber in record timeand ran out a few yards to look down the path where the Buck ran down...about 35 yards down there he layed,I ran down to see if he expired and thanked God for letting me get such a nice Deer...than I ran my arse off all the way up to the house to tell everyone I finally shot a Deer with a Bow and to get the tractor to haul the Deer back home with the biggest grin in the world on my face!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I get very worked up!! When I make the climb down from my stand I'm usually still shaking like a leaf. Actually I'm worse after I make the shot then I am when I take the shot.

This bow hunting stuff Is awesome and exciting, I guess It's why I've kept doing It for 24 years straight.
I am the same way for quite some time after I shoot! It is a wierd feeling, that is for sure!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Yes it's a rush, but I don't become a babbling,jumping, fist pumping, jerk off. It's me and the deer for a few quiet moments.
Wow, so if I pump my fist, jump, or babble to my cameraman, I am a jerk off huh?

Bottom line, for me at least, is that when I have someone right above me in the tree (who in my case is always a close friend), it is just natural to get excited with that person. It is natural to shake hands on an accomplishment on both our parts. I do get excited, even on a doe kill, and have been shown on video shaking like I was freezing to death after the shot was made on a doe.

I guess I could assume that anyone that keeps it between them and the deer quietly is a jerk off, but then again, that would be ridiculous of me, wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.