Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Jackets... >

Bowhunting Jackets...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Jackets...

Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting Jackets...

I was on a road trip this weekend and ended up at a Gander Mountain. I was just brousing around the clothing section, not really looking for anything and then, all ofsudden, I came across a jacket that blew my mind. It was a Dream Season Pro jacket by Scent Blocker. Now, I've never been sold on the carbon clothing thing, so this is post is not about this at all. This is about this particular jacket itself, design and functionality wise. The outer fleece of this thing was extremely soft and quiet. It almost felt as though it really has no place in the woods. Great pocket arrangement with two chest pockets that had a snap button and a really slick bungee cord with hook ins for grunt tubes, rangefinders etc., and two hand warmer pockets below. There were stretch panels under each arm pit area and I believe zippered vents as well. It also has two pull straps under the arms to adjust the fit.

Now for what I REALLY liked. The liner. The liner is made of wool and pretty heavy wool at that. I was very surprised by this. The jacket they had there was a 2XL, which is what I usually buy for layering. I had on a long sleave shirt and a fleece vest. I put the coat on and adjusted everything nice and snug. This jacket felt outstanding as far as fit. With the well thought out stretch panels, there was a lot of freedom of movement and it just overall felt very comfortable.

With the heavy weight zip out wool liner, I really liked the looks of this coat. It was pricey, at 309.00, but if a coat can get you from late september through February, I don't think its too much to ask.

Does anyone have the jacket? Any experiences with it?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Jackets...

I'm sure it is a very nice jacket. No offense intended, but to tell you the truth, I never had much use for a bowhunting jacket. I'd rather just layer and keep bulk to an absolute minimum. PolyPro Undies, wool sweater, and fleece outlayer will keep me good sitting still in a tree down to about 10 degrees (insulsated bibs, neck gaitor and hat also). Another wool vest and I'm good to 0 degrees. If it's windy, I might wear a insulated flannel instead of the fleece. Doesn't get much colder then that around here anyways.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

BobCo, I totally agree with you. No offense taken. I too don't like a lot of bulk in my clothing. However, I was thoroughly impressed with this jacket. I've always been a big fan of wool. There isn't a sythetic material out there that comes close to the insulating abilities of it. But the fit of this jacket is designed to reduce bulk. It fits like a glove once adjusted.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 AM

It is a great jacket, it is worth every penny!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, I agree, can't beat wool. And it sounds like the outer layer might be a good wind barrier. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was looking at spending that sort of $$$, I'd be looking at Gray Wolf Woolens, and have Jeff make me up something custom in a much better pattern. Just MHO. The Dream Season Pro jacket is nice, I just think for the same or maybe a bit more $$$ you will end up with a garment you will have for life, made specifically to fit you.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

I have that Jacket, its warm! Its a good jacket for the most part. My only complaint came when i washed it. When i got back from my elk hunting trip this fall i washed the jacket and the elastic cuffs on the sleeves have been squeaking ever since and its loud! I rolled the cuffs back now and that has seemed to keep them from making noise, but it was really loud and on a calm morning you could hear those cuffs. But the Jacket is really nice and very warm and versitle. that price tag seems inflated from what i remember.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick James, I couldn't agree with you more. I have a set of Grey Wolf, thats what I'm using now. Its the Wolfskin material. I like it, but after a couple of seasons, I just wish the jacket was more versitile. Admittingly, I messed up and ordered it with the wind barrier and the insulation. Too warm and heavy early on. It shines when it gets cold.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Rick James, I couldn't agree with you more. I have a set of Grey Wolf, thats what I'm using now. Its the Wolfskin material. I like it, but after a couple of seasons, I just wish the jacket was more versitile. Admittingly, I messed up and ordered it with the wind barrier and the insulation. Too warm and heavy early on. It shines when it gets cold.

Have you seen their 3 in 1 setup? It's pricey, but you know it's quality. You can have the inside layer of a different camo too, so that when you need different parts of it (for different seasons) you have the right pattern.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the regular dream season jacket and love that i might buy the pro this year

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Jackets...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.