Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How did you Grow this year?? >

How did you Grow this year??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you Grow this year??

Old 12-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How did you Grow this year??

With the end of the year comming quickly, How did you grow as a hunter/bow hunter?

I have to give props to Rob for helping me with my "Killing small deer" problem. He helped me to realize the difference and saved a Button Buck's life this year. I accully PMed him 30 seconds after it happened thats how excited I was about it.

I also grew through the way that I no longer look at poaching as the norm. Thanks to everyone on here for that one.

I also now use Technology to aide me in my hunting endevors, things like topo maps, trail cams, anything I can use to help me I do use.

I also realized that its not so much about the kill. Ive hunted a TON this season, the most ever accully, and I diddnt have to kill something to have a blast and most of the time I was more excited for my friends when they killed deer.

So, How have you grown as a Hunter?

Ryan
Old 12-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did you Grow this year??

I lost 40 lbs that I did not need to carry around with me this season. Thus improving my physical and mental fitness.

I increased my respect for the outdoors in that the hunt does not have to include the kill to be successful. Although I have had some rough moments this season, I've had some great interaction with the wildlife and witnessed some awesome sunsets/sunrises.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM

I reinforced the theroy that you can't kill them off the couch. Have to work on that next year if I want to get a deer on the ground.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
bigcountry

I will offset AF's acheivement and say I gained 40lbs since March. [8D]

And my freezer gained about 140lbs of venison. Good growth.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Got closer to my wife with this yr being her first yr bow hunting . And learned its not easy hunting with 2 people in tree. But we saw a lot of deer together.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I toughed it out and myself sit for more all day hunts than I ever have during the rut. I learned that a good book and a few snacks go a long way towards being comfortable all day.

I grew even more as a "mature buck" hunter. I passed on deer this year that would have never gotten a pass from me in previous years. I let a few 125"-135" deer walk and even let a 145"+ walk because he looked young. I am confident that this will only lead to bigger smiles in the future, although it hasn't done a lot to help my team this year.

I also grew in my ability to not "force" a shot. I have been bowhunting now for over 20 yrs. and I have gotten away with shots in the past that I probably shouldn't have. I don't know what happened this year, but something clicked. I became more comfortable with say to myself "If it doesn't feel 100%, don't release the arrow." By doing this I accomplished two things, cutting down on my chances of wounding a deer and learning a lot more by simply watching deer.

Over all this has been one of the best years I can remember in the field. I have until Jan. 15th. to put a buck on the ground and I will continue to hunt as hard as I can to do that. If it doesn't happen I will still consider this a successful year because of what I have learned and because the good Lord allowed me the time and the health to be out there doing what I love to do.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM

I learned I wasn't as good as I thought I was..
Old 12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Although I did not down an animal in our early archery season, it's not because of not having chances. I set very high goals at the beginning of our season and was very commited to only taking a select couple of bucks that we caught on game cams. As the seasonwent on it was hard not to take a younger buck, but I was proud my standards never changed. I also had the pleasure of helping Rob / PA with his fine PA buck and building and strengthening a life longfriendship.

Hereare a couple of pictures of my target bucks from this year. The first one was killed on opening day of our rifle season about 1/4 mile from our property. The second one however is still running and Ihopefully have a plannedmeeting with him in our late archery season after Christmas.Enjoy the pic's.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:30 PM

I too started the early season with an incredible amount of confidence , that coincidently ended probobly burning me a bit. Overall just a new respect for my (friend) - my- (advisary) the elusive whitetail

All i can fiigure is next year as long as i can stay calm and focused on stand , with the amount i learned this year it should be lethal
Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

i started bowhunting this year. i only saw one doe(during bow season), but i couldn't have pulled off the shot if i wanted to. i also learned how to shoot better, and that i have more patience than i thought i have. i learned why a harness is important (fell from 10 feet last wednesday in the process of climbing up to 30 feet). i learned that most everyone else has better luck than i do (even during rifle season). and unfortunately i learned that too many people are willing to do the wrong thing to harvest deer.

Quick Reply: How did you Grow this year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.