Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting only bucks irresponsible? >

Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

ORIGINAL: 2FNSLO

BTW, the only thing that qualifies me to answer this is that I have an internet connection and the ability to type.
Best line I have ever heard on here!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2FNSLO
BTW, the only thing that qualifies me to answer this is that I have an internet connection and the ability to type.

Mmmmmmmmmmm...very intersting.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

But you have dial up.[8D] We may never get the answer from you. LOL
Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read both sides of this controversy. I don't think its irresponsible. Let the hunter make his own mind up. I know several people who, getting up there in age, are "getting soft" and don't have the heart to shoot a doe, especially if they have young ones. I don't see a problem with that. Myself on the other hand, I will shoot a doe and be happy with it. I like taking a doe early in archery season if I can.

On the other side, I would like to know what having a more even buck to doe ratio has to do with growing quality bucks. I just don't see the logic in this. Maybe our property has some magic clover or pixie dust that gives us the bucks we have. Our buck to doe ratio is definitely out of whack by apretty good margin. Yes, we're trying to take more does out of the herd, but its not our primary objective. Our goal is quality food and age. That IMO, has far more to do with the quality of the bucks than a more even buck to doe ratio.

I work for Penn State University and have spoken with a deer biologist there. One thing he explained to me is the dominant bucks and does are just that, dominant. They have first dibs on preferred food and breeding. They will dictate who gets to eat and breed at any given time. However, this is simply the opinion of one biologist.

We're working on culling more does out simply because....none of us wants to see 30 does for every buck. I'm guessing our property is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 or so. Again, thats a guess and it could be significantly higher than I realize. But again, I don't honestly hold a lot of weight on this more even buck/doe ratio bit.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

its your choice as a hunter, but i agree that u should shoot does, i mean i think its alright to take two bucks in a season, as long as there 3 1/2 or older, i personally would rather shoot a doe over a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old buck, just my opinion, u need little bucks to live to get big
Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think a blanket statement can be made. It all depends on the area, how many hunters hunt it or near it, etc. My area almost always demands to take a few does and try to pass on younger bucks.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 PM

EAB will solve that problem!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I may be in the minority, but if I HAD to shoot a doe, I would be in serious trouble. I've had one in range all year (shot her) and none last year. Almost all I see are bucks. This is over 3 different properties,not bragging because most are dinks, just the way it is.
I think that is the key point to this question. It's probably hard for some of you with really high deer densities to imagine, but one of the main areas I hunt has a deer population of WELL under 10 deer per sq mile. I probably only saw around 10 does/fawns all year in 20+ sits in the area (and I didn't have a shot on most).

The land could hold more deer. IMO So in my mind I think it's good management to let the does walk. Of course in other situations, with high populations, it only maks sense to thin the does out.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly shooting ONLY BUCKS is irresponsible, and it's not achieving the overall goal of herd management and stabilization. I hunt deer for enjoyment, and I EAT VENISON, therefore, for me personally DOES are better table fare anyhow. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of guys, more than a handful I personally know that WON'T shoot does because they don't think its "manly" to shoot does. [:@] IGNORANCE!!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I've shot more does then bucks with bow or rifle so I am not part of the problem.

It really depends on the area. Our area needs doe thinned out and most do their part from what I see.

Tim

Quick Reply: Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.