Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe 5 what a hunt >

Doe 5 what a hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe 5 what a hunt

Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Doe 5 what a hunt

Well, as some of you know, I ignorantly fell out of a tree and am a little laid up. Well I got some crutches and came to my parents house this week for a little of Christmas break. My father in law has some pretty good hunting but living3 hours away kinda keeps me from getting to hunt it much. I knew where there was one short ladder stand in a draw leading up to a wheatfield. I told my dad that if he could get me close I could hobble to it and get up there, hoping for a chance at a deer. Well yesterday evening I went and got up in this ladder, its only about 8 foot off the ground but I thought what the heck. Little did I know how fun this was going to be. Yesterdays evening hunt had two doe fawn pairs move through and made for alot of good watching. Went back to it this morning and had what was probably the funnest hunt of my bowhunting career. It was extremely foggy this morning so light was a little late, been in the stand for 15 min and all of a sudden I see a white butt about 5 yards from the tree. It was a big old doe but still too dark to shoot. As soon as light hit there was deer everywhere. There was old does w/ last years fawns running all up and down the creek in this draw playing and bucking around. After about 20 minuets of this 9 does pile into the spot where this stand is oh Lord the shaking begins. They are all milling around in this creek and drinking two young fawns were jumping around butting heads and making little snorts at each other. I catch an older looking doe towards the back and decide that she will make good table fare. I come to full draw and wait. During the mean time I continued to watch the babies play and all of the other does mingle around. I realize that I am still at full draw and remembered why I am here. I say a little prayer wait for the doe to stop in an opening at 23 yrds and stop her. I zero in squeeze and watch my green and yellow fletching dissapear into her chest. The other does run off and I watch my doe crash about 25 yards off. I eye my bloody arrow stuck into the ground and thank the good Lord that I am still able to do this. I know it was all doe action, no horns, but I still think as far as total deer watching and enjoyment this was probably my funnest hunt ever, and to think with a cripple foot and 8 feet up it can still be this fun.
Just thought I would share this with you guys.

23 yrd shot, double lung pass through, 25 yrd recovery. Dressed weight 100 lbs.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Doe 5 what a hunt

Awesome congrats! The pic isn't working for me though
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Way to go, you're right it was EXTREMLY foggy this morning. In fact, that is the reason I didn't go[&:]

Congrats again, and I don't think the pic is working.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Workin now? When I get back home I will fix it right.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, it's workin' now. Congrats again
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a successful and safe hunt!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

great story man
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Zach, glad you are able to get out there and conratulations on the doe. My nephew and I just got through grinding and cutting up a doe and a buck we shot last week and I thought I would check the boards to wind down for a minute before hitting the hay. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your doe

Quick Reply: Doe 5 what a hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.