Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Making my own climbing stand >

Making my own climbing stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making my own climbing stand

Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making my own climbing stand

The company is no longer in business. 75 years and poof just fell of the planet. NorthStar was the company. You can't even find an owner and I think LoneWolf copied their belt system. They started off with a "groved" belt. The stand was a "Tree Cat Archer". Had a lot going for it. The center of the top section should have been reinforced. The bottom has the square platform to keep things together. Came a part like I was making a wish. The adjustability of the stand is killer. A real plus.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nodog Northstar got sued Which put them out of business.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Nodog Northstar got sued Which put them out of business.
For what?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Even if it never works out you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of most people who blindly hang their butts 20 feet in the air.
Can you explain that? That seems like it might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

Even if it never works out you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of most people who blindly hang their butts 20 feet in the air.
Can you explain that? That seems like it might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntn87

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Welding aluminum, the type you are speaking of is more than just welding, its like an art. The Lone Wolf platform is cast aluminum and I believe the rest is 6061 aluminum. It isn't cheap. Why not just take what climber you have and try to do a modification, though that will void any warranty. Good luck.

X2 ...more than likely its 6061 al. i also agree with what someone else said previously... if you don't have experience welding aluminum, get someone else to do it for you that does. its a lot different than welding cold rolled or hot rolled steel.
I totaly agree it takes alot of experience to weld aluminium corectly. you would want to learn on something far less important than keeping you up in a tree
Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

You want to build your own... fine. One suggestion... full body fall restraint system and maybe even a descender set up to get down. I doubt you can build it as light or much cheaper than what you can buy. That said, I'm sure it can be done... but make sure you hook up. It only takes one weak link for the chain to break.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

Sure, but do you read much?

A builder has an eye for what is and what is not well built. He's knows it first hand and often from failing. Whydo I have to explain that?

It's called inventing, google it! Great American tradition! Always been surounded by people with negitive waves. Depending on your perspective aint such a bad thing. A foot pedal has already been mentioned. Put that on the list Hunter. Even if you don't do the welding the guy who does better be using one or have a good explanation why? That's how ya learn!

Cambridge. Home of John Glen and were talking about 20' ?You do kill me! LOL