Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another rant.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another rant.

The gun hunters In my area are pretty pathetic.
Shultzy, Do you think those same "gun hunters" also hut with a bow? In my experience if a guy is an irresponsible hunter with a gun he is worse come bow season...like.....shooting through brush...taking long shots.......not in practice or tune..........not tracking ect.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There may be more to the story than we/you (poster) realize.

And for PA, I disagree with PT. With 1,000,000 license sales, obviously most for deer season, that's alot of lead in the air. Ask any late season flintlocker or archer about found deer after lead season. [&:]

Archers/Bowhunters already get a bad rap for die hard gun hunters because their season follows ours, but ask any die hard second season archer/flintlocker what they find. I think it would open the minds or at least I'd hope of some lead slingers.
I didn't say #'s .... I said %

No WAY I will ever believe the % of deer hit to deer not found will be higher for gun .....anywhere in the US....
Then you obviously haven't hunted a slug gun state in an areathat permitsparty hunting using deer drives. Most deer shot are on the run and many go unrecovered. I hunted a woodlot this year where a different group had gone thru the day before. We found 4 dead deer layng that had been hit, died later, and were unrecovered. This was on a single property.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well I talked to My buddy again, and I guess they found 2 more dead deer, but these ones weredoes. I just don't understand what these guys were thinking. All these deer were killed around the same time frime. 10 deer on our neighbors 150 acre farm. If You shot at 10 deer You would think You could at least find some of them. I guess some of the deer could have came from another farm, and just died on this guys place, but man it is just upsetting knowing of all these deer just going to waste like that. I'm sorry for being so harsh about the way I think of gun season, but this is all I've ever seen. 75% of the gun hunters around here are like this.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

These numbers from one farm just seem a little staggering to me??
If they killed and DIDN'T FIND 10 deer in one gun season then how many total did they actually kill because I'm sure they didn't lose them all.

This just seems very odd to me. The numebrs just flat out don't make any sense at all unless someone is killing deer for target practice or you have some very bad water.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer drives maybe. I hear stories about every deer on the drive getting shot at. Who knows? Seems like a very large number of dead deer. The head looks several months old, did you have an EHD problem?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I would bet more bow shot deer die without being found, than gun shot deer ......now I am talking %shot / %recovered
I agree 100%

A slob, unethical hunter is just that. Needless of the weapon they choose. And it is always sickning to see an animal wasted this way. Or I should say to that extent.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

I suppose to some of themembers here from other parts of the country that it seems too unreal to be true, but some of the midwest farmers in areas with high deer densities will allowgroups to hunt their land on the conditionthat the hunterskill as many deer as possible.Sounds radical, but here in the midwest there are crop areas that absolutely get destroyed by the local deer herds and the farmers are the ones who take the hit in the pocketbook and want them gone. Theherd numbers on certain farms with adjacent timber and CRP can be astounding. Over the years we've pushed small to medium sized blocks of timberand hadupwards of 100 deer driven out. This is on a single parcel.
On one spot of ground we gunhunted this year the landowner hadover 30doe tags issued to him from the DNR due to crop destruction and he wanted to fill as many as possible. If the landowners don't get the tags they need, thehunterswill sometimes just let the deer lay. They reduce the numbers as requested/needed and don't risk getting caught with untagged deer. Not my style of hunting, but this method of herd control has been going on for longer than I've been around. It isn't necessarily the attitude of the hunter(s), but thatof the farmer/landowner.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

These deer have only been dead for 3-4 weeks tops. We have trail camera picsof a couple of the deer in late November so We know they haven't been dead that long. All the deer were decomposed about the same amount. Only two of the deer were able to see why the died. Two of them had gun shot wounds in the neck. The others were to tore up from beingate on by coyotes, and other animals to tell. We searched around on our farm, and our other neighbors farm, and haven't found anything. The reason these were found is buzzards were circling. So My buddy went to see what was dead, and found one of the deer, and He stumbled upon another one while getting that one. He then started walking around and found them all. I do agree though that is alot of dead deer for that one farm.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear that man, but i have to agree those deer seem a little rotten to be gun kills...
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Another rant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.