Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks >

Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

NYak, pretty sure thats land he hunts in Ohio, but i know the area your talking about well, and its VERY, VERY similar to what hes hunting in Ohio from the way it sounds...stripe mines and wetland marshes...i couldnt figure the stuff out so i avoided it like the plauge....i had private permission and moraine and SGLs in the area to hunt and never bothered....i can hunt farmland and hills...but put me on flatland and wetland and i couldnt even find anything to get me excited scouting so i never bothered...i KNOW the marshes would hold awesome bucks....thats just completely foreign to me....

id have NO problem throwing the waders on to get to areas....but never thought to make a post on the subject...now i could kick myself
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran that place looks familiarI love finding Islands in the midddle of that stuff and hunting the entrance and exits routes. Also The hour glass feature in the swamp where it points out is usally a great spot I find scrapes on those points all the time. If you could find a point with an Island out from it you are in business.

By the way find me a good place to hang out next November.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now are we talking early, mid or rut season. I can hunt for about the end of aug till the end of november with my bow. I have seen a bruiser....... actually a logger friend of mine put me on him But i can't get close enough to close the deal. Swamp buck......... mature is an understatement. We have been seeing this guy for 4 yrs+ from a few hundred yds off. Usuallycrossing a rd. I know the time he crosses the rd therefore I know about the time he crosses the river. And its not really a rd..... its a logging trail. If I put my time in I may just get my 160" public land buck[:-]
Pics to follow
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here ya go first pic is as close as I can get on an arial photo. Google earth and the likes doesn't work north of the border. I used to camp in the bottom right hamnd corner. The logging rd I have seen this bruit cross is about 1/2 mile away slightly to the NW...,..... you'll see the next slight bend. He crosses b/w my camp and that bend..
Remember this is an arial photo. The darkest spots are pine...... lower in the pic and the mod dark spots are normally poplar.The river is infested with willows...... the wider spots are swamp grass. Whare would you start. Keep in mind I have this guy as a mature buck for 4 yrs +. Here's the first pic
Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 AM

Hey Fran...If I knew anything about hunting swamp bucks I'd be done by now. lol

I'll be out there again tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Reading this thread made me go out and scout my swamp.. I've hunted the edge of the swamp where there are really nice rubs and scrapes... I've seen a few good bucks but its always really really late.. I headed into the swamp today and there are really good paths, but no buck sign... is this normal?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the comments about my DVD "Hunting marsh bucks"
My 1st comment would be to scout the hell out of that property in the off season. Concentrate on the transition lines where wet meets dry. Transitions lines are normally where the bucks bed, wether they are islands in the marsh, high spots where the bucks can bed, or the outer rim of the swamp where dry land timber meets dogwood or cattails. Finding the buck bedding areas is the key to this scouting. Pinch points and funnels are great for one week of the year when they are rutting, but not the rest of the season. Bucks generally stay cl;ose to there bedding areas during daylight when they can be hunted, so thats where you need to concentrate hunting efforts. Good luck, and I hope you check out my DVD
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

so if I was seeing deer really late in the evening would I move back into the marsh?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Where's Gri22ly...he loves these swap bucks, he can point you in the right direction!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

so if I was seeing deer really late in the evening would I move back into the marsh?
I would

Quick Reply: Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.