Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks >

Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Does that happend to be up towards the Butler area near Moraine State Park?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted some marshy type areas in the past and have seen deer by hunting saddles in-between the really wet/marshy areas.

Haven't gotten a monster that way, but I'm convinced it would work if you could find the right sign to go along with the setup.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

http://www.bloodbro.com/store/details.php?prodId=25&category=0

Hunting Marsh Bucks DVD. Haven't heard a bad review on it yet, I have it on my shelf borrowed from a friend, just haven't watched it yet. Apparently VERY informative.
You better watch It more then once Trev. It's got a pile of good Info on it. Some of my land Is marsh and I'm slowly learning how to hunt It the right way Instead of the wrong way. Really, there Isn't much to It. Allot of It Is just good old common sense and I didn't realize It till I watched Bloodbro's DVD.

Quik, that DVD Is everything you need and want when learning how to hunt marsh bucks.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

i have not hunted swamp like you have in the pics, but i have spent my fair share of time hunting northern michigan cedar swamps. here is what i do. find the thickest...nastiest...most choked spot in the area. that will be where they are bedding. once you find that, find where they are feeding.then look for an area leading to the feeding area thathas cover but is a little less choked with brush. deer will take the path of least resistance. set up close to the edge of the bedding area...75 to 100 yards. the deer will come out of the real thick stuff within the last hour of light and slowly make there way to the food.

second tactic is to find where they are bedding and then find an open area within the bedding area. swamp deer will move at any time of the day within their bedding area. it's usually a large area that is very thick...they feel very very comfortable and secure. if you can get in without being detected you have a good chance to shoot a nice one. i usually look for very small pockets of highground (usually 50 yards wide or less). i find that the deer will come into this type of area andfeed a littledurring the middle of the day.

hope this helps a little.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

http://www.bloodbro.com/store/details.php?prodId=25&category=0

Hunting Marsh Bucks DVD. Haven't heard a bad review on it yet, I have it on my shelf borrowed from a friend, just haven't watched it yet. Apparently VERY informative.
This is by far thew best dvd out there if you actually want to LEARN something instead of just kill shots like so many countless other dvd/videos!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Bartender

Quicky I am with BHF on this and if you need to pick someones brain on here Dukemichaels
and Buckmstr can help you out for sure. Buckmstr (Dan) is also on the above mentioned DVD
and part of the bloodbro team.

T
Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive hunted some wetlands like that. Its just like hunting dry land. Find pinch points, if the deer dont have to croos the water then they wont. Also look lor a shallow section of the creek/river/pond, and see where thye are crossing the water. The water oaks are a big plus around the swamps. Lastly, hunt it well after the mosquitos are gone unless you want to get carried away by them suckers.

Nice swamp Rory, got one that looks like it here, no greenheads though, just woodies.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fran I have killed a swamp buck, here's the trick.

You will see sign on the outside of the swamp, it will look great, but do not hunt there if you're after a the big boy. You are going to have go into the swamp and look for high ground. Normaly on this high ground will be a food source, I like a few oak trees myself. This is where those mature bucks hang out until dark and most hunters do not. The sign on the outside of the swamps is 98% time being made at dark in states like MI and PA. Find his bedding area in Jan, follow it to his staging area(the high ground in the swamp). This is your best shot IMO

Good luck
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MISwampDog

i have not hunted swamp like you have in the pics, but i have spent my fair share of time hunting northern michigan cedar swamps. here is what i do. find the thickest...nastiest...most choked spot in the area. that will be where they are bedding. once you find that, find where they are feeding.then look for an area leading to the feeding area thathas cover but is a little less choked with brush. deer will take the path of least resistance. set up close to the edge of the bedding area...75 to 100 yards. the deer will come out of the real thick stuff within the last hour of light and slowly make there way to the food.

second tactic is to find where they are bedding and then find an open area within the bedding area. swamp deer will move at any time of the day within their bedding area. it's usually a large area that is very thick...they feel very very comfortable and secure. if you can get in without being detected you have a good chance to shoot a nice one. i usually look for very small pockets of highground (usually 50 yards wide or less). i find that the deer will come into this type of area andfeed a littledurring the middle of the day.

hope this helps a little.
Sorry did not see this, but he is right on.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

As the others said check out the Marsh Bucks DVD. It is chock full of good information. I've actually started looking for marshy hunting ground so I can apply some of what I've learned there. It will answer most of your questions and anything you have left over Dan (Buckmstr) would be able to help you out with.

Quick Reply: Hunting Mature Swamp Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.