Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Enough to make ya cry.... >

Enough to make ya cry....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Enough to make ya cry....

Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Enough to make ya cry....

So tonight I decided to try a different property. I hunt on wildlife management areas and had only hunted one property for the last few years. It's simply not holding that many deer and no big bucks at all. So without having done any scouting I look at the map and hike about twenty minutes to a spot on the edge of a field that I will be able to see a large area from. After about an hour a big mature doe comes walking by at about sixty five yards. At this point my hunt has been successful since I have actually SEEN something in a spot I have never been in before. Well, about five minutes later I catch a glance of something coming from the same exact spot as the doe. Then I see antlers... About a 160'' 11pt. I got pumped, this would be the biggest deer I have shot and it would be with a bow. Turns out this buck was thinking with something besides his head....as he follows the EXACT same trail the doe did. JUST out of bow range. Now i know not putting yourself in bow range is your own fault but when I have never even scouted this area out, where I put my stand was a total shot in the dark. I could not get that deer's attention for the life of me. He disappeared and I watched about half a dozen does move out into the field as I slipped out of the tree. That deer is going to haunt my dreams for a long while...

Anyone ever have one deer that they never got that they just cant forget about?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Enough to make ya cry....

Yes, just this past Nov 25th I missed the biggest buck (150"+)I've ever hada shot at.Can't you hunt this area again before the season is over? With a buck of that size in there, I'd try to find a way.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yea i'm gonna try to hunt that area again. Just with the pressure from other hunters it would take a lot of luck. There is also a horse trail that runs near the area and they get the deer all out of wack.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Imissed this one the first morning of bow season. It still haunts me to this day!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear that man, i missed the first buck i ever saw in the wild...havent see him or even a buck for that matter on stand since that was 3 years ago...horrible i know
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM

go back as soon as you can, but he may never show himself again in that area, but you gotta try!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did ya have a chance to read my return from IL thread?[&:][8D]

Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone ever have one deer that they never got that they just cant forget about?
After over 30 years of bowhunting.......all I will say is more than one! Good luck hunting that buck and keep us informed. Hope you get him.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the posts and encouragement everyone. I went back out tonight, this time with my secret weapon that I forgot yesterday of course...some good ol' tinks #69. Had numerous bucks get down wind of that and spin on a dime to come my direction. Storm front is moving in tonight so I figured the deer would really be moving. Needless to say I didnt see a darn thing. But I'm going to keep hunting that sucker and hopefully I get him before someone else does. Bc naturally i deserve him most
Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Don't feel bad about today's hunt. I went back to the same place as yesterday, but hunted about 150 yards away. Nothing showed up near me. This time 6 does were feeding on the other side of the field, but never saw a buck tonight.

Quick Reply: Enough to make ya cry....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.