Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Giving mad props again.... >

Giving mad props again....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Giving mad props again....

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Giving mad props again....

After reading thru my post about "who was there?" I came to realize that all bowhunters owe a huge thank you to those who came before us... I started bowhunting in 1990, not exactly a trail blazer ...but the guys that did it in the 1930's-70's and even the 80's had it really hard compared to today...I have seen much improvement since 1990 myself with equipment, stands, scents, knowledge, and especially herd sizes...some of the younger or newer guys may not even fathom how hard it was just to even see a deer back in those days....we all have been spoiled by a growing deer population, accept for guys in Maine and then you have Shclutzy up there in MN with few deer, but yet still gets it done...sorry had to ride his sac a moment...but let's give thanks to those who learned through trial and error when mistakes were the learning curve!!!!!!!!!Thank you gents!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Giving mad props again....

you are right... i know that i am spoiled.. But yes u r right we do need to give thanks..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

With exception to the herd #'s explosion.....we can still "take it back" to where it was "then" by our choice of equipment. If you're willing to hold out for a certain criteria of animalin your pursuits.....I suppose you could make it as "old school" as you wanted.

As far as technology....shared knowledge....etc....Yeah....we owe them a lot. When/where I gre up.....I'm not sure I could have kept the flame buring, not seeing a single deer in a season, though. When I was growing up....that would have been a very distict possibility/probable likelihood.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

but the guys that did it in the 1930's-70's and even the 80's had it really hard compared to today...
Ask me about aquiring hunting permission back then. Back then bow hunters were really viewed a lot differently.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Bob, the access was easier??? right? Either way, hunting then and now are much different...and yes Jeff, we can take it back to a certain extent...going trad, or hunting for particular deer and only one, but it would a far stretch today with as many deer and the amount of info on deer hunting...I agree, it would have been hard to hunt and stay enthusiastic all season without seeing a deer...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The clothing choices we had were very special. Army surplus. or ..................
Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, the access was easier??? right?
Most definetely. The nice part was that you could do more spotting in fields, ask permission, and then go hunt a particular deer. Usually when the landowner found out that you planned on Bowhunting there was not a problem. A lot of hunters nowadays see a lot of deer that they can not go after unfortunately. Patterning was a bit less complicated.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

After reading thru my post about "who was there?" I came to realize that all bowhunters owe a huge thank you to those who came before us... I started bowhunting in 1990, not exactly a trail blazer ...but the guys that did it in the 1930's-70's and even the 80's had it really hard compared to today...I have seen much improvement since 1990 myself with equipment, stands, scents, knowledge, and especially herd sizes...some of the younger or newer guys may not even fathom how hard it was just to even see a deer back in those days....we all have been spoiled by a growing deer population, accept for guys in Maine and then you have Shclutzy up there in MN with few deer, but yet still gets it done...sorry had to ride his sac a moment...but let's give thanks to those who learned through trial and error when mistakes were the learning curve!!!!!!!!!Thank you gents!!!
There are few deer in MN???
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM

just where schultzy hunts...they only get one tag!!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

just where schultzy hunts...they only get one tag!!
Thestate doesn't allowmore than one buck tag in any zone but some areas also allow up to 5 doe tags (like where I hunt). Overall there is a pretty healthy deer poplation in MN...although I did seefewer deer this season than in previous years.

Quick Reply: Giving mad props again....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.