Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you do when you find a climber stand on your property? >

What do you do when you find a climber stand on your property?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do when you find a climber stand on your property?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you do when you find a climber stand on your property?

I once hung a stand in the neighbour's tree just a few feet over the boundary line as no tree was good enough on the land I had gotten permission on. I 'assumed' I was neither here nor there, as I was shooting towards the land I had gotten the permission on...'hopefully', my honest intention, but then again a good deer coming in behind ...well had that happened....
I hunted that stand once, the second time I found a note on the tree saying, 'You have no permission to hunt here, please remove stand at the earliest chance'.
I immediately removed the stand and the climbing sticks and felt embarrassed, (which I caused on myself of course) but I was honestly pleasedhow the landowner handled the matter. So much so, I respected the decision he had taken.

This has thought me to do the same to others....IF...I am faced with a similar situation.At least this way both parties are satisfied.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

I once hung a stand in the neighbour's tree just a few feet over the boundary line as no tree was good enough on the land I had gotten permission on. I 'assumed' I was neither here nor there, as I was shooting towards the land I had gotten the permission on...'hopefully', my honest intention, but then again a good deer coming in behind ...well had that happened....
I hunted that stand once, the second time I found a note on the tree saying, 'You have no permission to hunt here, please remove stand at the earliest chance'.
I immediately removed the stand and the climbing sticks and felt embarrassed, (which I caused on myself of course) but I was honestly pleasedhow the landowner handled the matter. So much so, I respected the decision he had taken.

This has thought me to do the same to others....IF...I am faced with a similar situation.At least this way both parties are satisfied.
A man needs to be able to live with himself. I hear ya.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think each situation is probably a little different. Are they just over the line? Is the land posted or not? Are theya mile away from a road...and 400yds onto your property? Do you live there full time? The answer to some of those might change the way I approach the specific situation, but I honestly doubt I would leave it there for them...I'd most likely take it, leave a note,and make em call me to discuss. If it was right on the line (my side)....I might take it down, leave it against the tree with a note...but it would have to be right there like ampahunter's situation.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I am going back next Sat and will probably take the stand off the tree and leave a note on it leaning against the tree. I will not take it this time. I will give the benefit of the doubt for an honest mistake this time around. He likely hiked 150-250 yards past the adjacent property line.Our land is not very well posted (still illegal in VA to hunt on private land)...and that will change this winter after the season. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd take the stand.....and leave a note on the tree telling him where he could pick it up.
Yep. Thats exactly what I would do also.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

if truely your property, you should have yourself a new stand.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I love how fast we take a fellow hunters stuff, none of you have ever made a mistake? Put your self in that guys shoes,If he was told wrong or just turned wrong ,so you take his stand great sportsmanship.
We hear all this brotherhood BS yet most of youwould hose their fellow hunter with out a second thought. great bunch of guys..............yea right..........[:'(]
How hard is it to just leave a note on the stand with your cell phone number?
Only difference in this and what I suggested, Jim....is I'm forcing the issue in my scenario. In yours....he can do the cowardly thing and never recieve an education (he doesn't have to come face to face with you). If it's my land....I WANT him educated RE: property lines.Your way seems WAY toopassive for my taste. Not saying it's wrong.....but Iwouldn't go that route.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the stand down and leave a note on the tree informing the owner if he wants his stand back to come see you. My neighbor did that 2 weeks ago. He went as far as laminating the note so the weather wouldn't destroy it and tied it to the tree. I checked to make sure the note had not torn off a couple of days ago and it's still there.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM

I agree..
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd take the stand.....and leave a note on the tree telling him where he could pick it up.

Quick Reply: What do you do when you find a climber stand on your property?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.