Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Happened?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: What Happened?

Well, I'll be back out there Friday hoping to see him again. As for how low is low, I would say about heart level but a little further back but not so far as I would think a gut shot. Brisket/sternum probably the answer.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Chris I'm not trying to be a smartass. What I'm saying is....it's gonna get to be a REALLY tiresome mantra if EVERY time someone loses a deer......the COC fixed crowd (which I'm getting ready to be a part of) blames it on the mechanical BH.

I just didn't feel like it was the time or the place for that kind of statement....and on a broadside hit, behind the shoulder......hell it should make NO difference what tye head you have.

Just wasn't the time nor the place for that.
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass either. I have made broadside shots with both heads,(coc,mech.) Never had a pass thru with 3 different types of mech. 100% pass thru with coc broadside. Just my opinion and observation.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough, Chris....but only 6" penetration .....leaves a LOT of questions to be asked. Just not the time/place.

Have a good one, buddy. I'm going to a tree.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Fair enough, Chris....but only 6" penetration .....leaves a LOT of questions to be asked. Just not the time/place.

Have a good one, buddy. I'm going to a tree.
Hey, I have been told 6 inches is alot.[8D] Have a good hunt Jeff.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't the author of this thread question if maybe the broad head didn't open? Maybe partially opened?

Would that maybe make this a viable question or should I start another thread? I don't want to break a forum rule, just asking as I'm trying to learn here.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ,
If I were a betting man, that's where I'd put my money. Again, it may or may not be fatal, but I'm guessing with that angle, you've probably just got a flesh wound, which should mean you'll see him again, ALIVE. But going back to the sticky'd thread, if you WERE unsure of the shot, a 4-6hr wait might have been a better option. Now I'm a Mechanical BH fan with the right set-up, but in all honesty, if I was shooting your set-up, I'd lean towards a fixed head, mainly because of the LIGHT arrow. Put a 400gr arrow on there, and then you may be talking. Also, you may get more momentum by keeping a little of the length on that shaft as well. Archery is the only sport I know of guys want short shafts!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

There really are no bones back that far that should stop an arrow,unless the far leg was back as in the deer taking a step and you hit the off side leg. With your shot distance and height I can't imagine that the deer is not dead ,you might just need to search a larger circle. I would look in the thickest nasty stuff in the area.

Good luck,Jim
Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Spike

Well, after this, I'm going to use the slick trick mags. Not sure if this is considered a COC or not. Back years ago, I used a chisel point one piece broadhead but it had to be hand sharpened which was kind of a pain. I thinkthey weighted around 180grs.
I did search all the thick cover in the area as that was my thoughts as well. Really not a lot of it in the area. Mostly small areas scattered like little islands if that makes sense.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm guessing brisket or partial brisket. Get some blood but not a lot and it'll stop real quick. Possible you clipped a lung but I really doubt it. And as far as mechanical vs. a fixed, we all know the mechanicals do loose some punch. He had a light arrow, moderate poundage, smack some bone and you don't get what you want. Although in this case, it sounds like it was too low to do the deed with any head.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

How do you guys explain the broken arrow if you're (like Jim) trying to atribute this to the BH. How did the arrow break?

Also....would the arrow break if (like David) you're assuming a glancing blow?

Quick Reply: What Happened?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.