Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Internet... learning curve... >

Internet... learning curve...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Internet... learning curve...

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Internet... learning curve...

Heck Scott, the internet has been around since about the time you probably started???
You are only 6 years older than me bro [8D]

Right SPINE??? Nobody told me about any of that crap, I had some money in my pocket and the arrows were $14 per half dozen and $24 per dozen. Nah, I'll take having somewhat of a clue what I'm doing over being CLUELESS, some of the mishaps were funny, I look back and laugh at that day now, but I'll tell you that at the time, I was probably SMOKING
A good lesson learned.... Only cost you 24 bills too

Now being young and most likely not carrying deep pockets at the time, had someone told you not to buy those arrows because the spine was to weak would you have listened and bought more expensive arrows? Or still bought the cheapies because you were young anddumb with other things you wanted to spend your cash on as well?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like many have stated already, with the internet, there's good advice to be had, and there's plenty of bad advice to be had. It's funny (ok, maybe more ironic) that I didn't access HNI for much of my early years of hunting (although the internet did exist at the time), and I shot MORE bucks (albeit smaller ones) then. Once I found HNI, I became much more aware of the flaws in my hunting (although these may have been percieved, because, well, don't fix what's not broken, right?), but I'm buckless for most of my time here on HNI. I learned a LOT from people on this site, from the technical issues to the hunting strategies. I've started paying attention to the smallest details, entry/exit routes, map reading, scouting, managment practices, camo, etc. I'm seeing the results in terms of deer sightings, but like was already stated, it's more or less about how you APPLY the knowledge. That is what I'm terrible at

I learned a lot in my early years about the BASICS of hunting, and things only a father can teach. Maybe sometimes that's what we all really need. A return to the basics rather than an over-analysis of what should be a simple pursuit.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM

I learned a lot in my early years about the BASICS of hunting, and things only a father can teach. Maybe sometimes that's what we all really need. A return to the basics rather than an over-analysis of what should be a simple pursuit.

Maybe this was what I was trying to say?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Heck Scott, the internet has been around since about the time you probably started???
You are only 6 years older than me bro [8D]

Right SPINE??? Nobody told me about any of that crap, I had some money in my pocket and the arrows were $14 per half dozen and $24 per dozen. Nah, I'll take having somewhat of a clue what I'm doing over being CLUELESS, some of the mishaps were funny, I look back and laugh at that day now, but I'll tell you that at the time, I was probably SMOKING
A good lesson learned.... Only cost you 24 bills too

Now being young and most likely not carrying deep pockets at the time, had someone told you not to buy those arrows because the spine was to weak would you have listened and bought more expensive arrows? Or still bought the cheapies because you were young anddumb with other things you wanted to spend your cash on as well?
Sarcasm in first statement, but 6 yrs IS A LOT in today's Techno world.

As to the Lesson, had someone told me I'd lose a GREAT buck and look like an idiot (not that I didn't do that enough on my own without needing the help of poor equipment choices) on a 3D course because the arrow were TOO WEAK, I actually would have listened. I REALLY had NO ONE to show me anything. I was still using those Nap Center-Rests in 2003!!!! (and shooting a release!!!) I've learned a LOT from the different resources the internet has to offer, still do nearly everyday I get online. And I've taken some shots through the years that if I took today WOULD BE UNETHICAL, because I now know better. Shooting the doe in the head this year....Well, that was just another of those WTH were you thinking moments, but that arrow would've hit right where I wanted it to had she not moved (A LOT!!!). Don't shoot at an ALERT deer, especially from 40yds, because they move (A LOT!!!), on of those lessons I'd learned on my own, but I had a temporary lapse. Precisely why I posted a thread about it..... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...=&#3190294 ..... to try to save someone from the mistake I'd made only possibly worse. Will it help anyone???? Hopefully!!! Will it help more than a few??? Hopefully!!! Will it help ever guy who reads it??? Not a chance, but at least it may help someone.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The internet has been beneficial for me personallymore from a technical aspect of bowhunting. As far as learning about the deer I hunt, hands down the mountains and actual deer themselves thatIscout andhunt; theyteach me more than any book or internet can; simply due to the fact that there are very few whitetail bowhunters whom hunt the kind of habitat and variables that coincide with the enviroment thatI hunt in. Thereis onlyso much an internet thread, magazine articles, tv shows can do period.You have to get your hands dirty and learn from experience, trial and error. It's that way with anything in life,book smart will only get you so far. My college degree didnt give memy fulleducation, the real world did once I threw myself into the job, but it wasmy college degree that opened upthe door.

Thetopreason whyI use the internet is for socialpurposes, I live in the sticks and simply enjoy visiting with other passionate hunters. I have made some great friends and sharedawesome times with folks fromHNI.