Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Internet... learning curve... >

Internet... learning curve...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Internet... learning curve...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Internet... learning curve...

I think the Internet helps a great deal,

But at the same time, alot of the newer guys (myself included), get reamed out for "trial and error" situation.We get called unethical, and inhumane. I know one thing for sure, Huntingnet.Com has made me not attempt a shot on several occasions (good or bad? You decide).
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remember my 1st year I decided I wanted to kill a deer with a bow. I used a salomander heater fueled by diesel to try to keep warm at the hunting camp before I went out. I'd rumble into the woods smelling like I just bathed in diesel fuel. I wondered why I didnt' see many deer that year. Oh how I wish the internet was around.[8D][8D]
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had noone to show me anything when I started hunting. I just got the old 30-30 my dad gave me and walked onto public land to hunt. I just supplemented that with magazine articles and books. Man it was hard.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was self learned as well buckeye but I wish I would have had some avenue of knowledge where I could have went for questions I had. Sure I learned it all by myself and may not want to have changed anything as well although I do wish I had some shots back again as well as some animals.

I learned the hard way, years before you came along young man as well as the technology that's come along since I started and before you started. I started with a fiberglass recurve, glass arrows and field points. I'm glad I didn't hit anything. At least the internet would have told me at 12 NOT to do that. [&:] Nothing or no one else did.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Real question is who is Jay Haas on this site?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, I think you might be on to some thing. Learning hunting from family members took a whole lot less arguing. We found it incredible for an elder to share his experiences with us. To kill a deer was and still is special. Look at the kids posting here waiting for a " book " buck, you people have not a clue.
I am very much thankful that I don't have to kill to have hunted.

I have a great family a would trade them for nothing.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Scott..I approach everything pretty much the same way that I want to be successful in. Again....if I can teach my son where to look for deer.....I'd much rather do that than have him have sit after fruitless sit. Is he gonna learn as much if I put him in a tree? No. But he can learn a lot by studying WHY they should be a certain place with me.....then picking his own spot.

I can assure you no one set my stands. I just took what I read here (and EVERYWHERE) and applied it to my woods.

Your way isn't wrong. Is it virtuous? i dont' think it is, personally.....IF you had a choice.

"Worked for it" is subjective. I used to work with guys who it took 50+ hours to get done what others achieved in 30-40. Were they hard workers, all? Sure. Some just developed a more expeditious way to skin the cat. Which guy would you rather have on your payroll?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Real question is who is Jay Haas on this site?
[8D] I'm guessing some golf dude that was a member at a club Jeff used to work at?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, while I didn't have anyone to teach me the rope in person, I believe I logged on this very site in Aug of 2000 and the information was invaluable to me as a hunter. You can't take everything into the field, but it was a great stepping stone for me. I had to trial and error as well, but gained most of my baseline from you yahoos. Scary thought now that you think about it.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Jay Haas is "some golf dude" insomuch as Eddie Van Halen is a "guy who plays the guitar".

Quick Reply: Internet... learning curve...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.