Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good and Bad genetics >

Good and Bad genetics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good and Bad genetics

Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good and Bad genetics

If you are that concerned with genetics why not just put up a high fence, kill everything inside it, and then introduce the "perfect" genetics you desire. That way you won't have to ever worry about seeing an "inferior" buck in your woods. I'm just sayin'. [8D]
Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

You do realize it takes two to tango, and the does are possibly carrying some of these 'genes' and theres no way to know which ones.
Of course.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

You do realize it takes two to tango, and the does are possibly carrying some of these 'genes' and theres no way to know which ones.
Of course.
After I wrote that, I realize how smartarsed it sounded. My appologies.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

If you are that concerned with genetics why not just put up a high fence, kill everything inside it, and then introduce the "perfect" genetics you desire. That way you won't have to ever worry about seeing an "inferior" buck in your woods. I'm just sayin'.
Good idea![&:]
Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

All i can say if is if you actually think you can alter the genetics of deer in the wild, its not going happen. Sure you might take some out that have 'bad" genes, but others from other areas with there bad genetics will come in.
During the rut its a know fact that 3.5 buck can travel up to 20 miles through out the stages of the rut. So for you to clean out bad genetics you would have to have massive stretch of land, and a lot of time and tags. Not to mention the two to tango argument too. You would have to high fence the deer, tag the does that produce good bucks and kill the ones that dont, and even then that would take years, due to the fact that hidden genes can be exposed due to stress and other things.

Also, some deer have great genetics but suffer an injury thus altering there antler growth, which doesnt mean that the genetics they are spreading are bad, they just have injuries. This has been proven over the last few years. It frustrates me when people are still of the thought process that once a spike always a spike, its just not true at all.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a delicate area because it's easy to step on toes but IMO your priorities are out of wack. Just how "perfect" do the racks need to be? I don't see anything wrong with the rack on the buck you posted, except maybe his inside spread isn't wide. It seems the left antler slants in (a classic diamond shape) where the right is more upright. If that is the case and it is the "flaw" that you want to eliminate than I humbly submit you're hunting for the wrong reasons and should think of "culling" the wrong motives in your life. It does seem you seek a designer buck and the best option is a high fence and stud fees. If I'm wrong ignore this post.

Now I can understand the case where the buck has only one antler but as mentioned the doe could be carrying the gene as well and there's no way of telling which doe has what genes.

Including the neighbors, there are around 500+ acres that participated in our "program". I saw the results. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Probably the main impact is more bucks are reaching older ages.

Many abnormalities we see in the field are temporary in nature. An abnormal antler(s) should not be an excuse to harvest a young buck, particularly if the abnormality is injury related. If given the chance to grow another set of antlers, most bucks revert to their pre-injured form and grow a larger set in response to their advanced age. I know of one 3 ½ year old buck that injured his antlers early in growth and ended with 6 points on 2 deformed antlers. He scored far less than 100 Boone & Crockett points (probably closer to 50 B&C). The next year he was a symmetrical 10 point with a 21 inch inside spread and scored 145 B&C. It's amazing the difference a year can make. http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerbiology/antlerabnormalities.htm
Doctor Kroll's book points out that antlers change year to year and it's hard to determine what a mature bucks antlers will look like. http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/view/Post/12775/Antler-Development-in-Free-Range-Bucks-by-Dr-Kroll
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

It's actually over 50% (in favor of the does having more say in the outcome of the buck's potential than the buck).

How can you be sure the "superior" bucks are breeding with the "superior" does? You can't.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weird double post when I edited my original post. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

How could you ever know how many lines of bucks you have. Couldn't another buck with another genetic backgroundslipped in at some point?

I would just think it was inevitable as well as short term before lines mingled..
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Doubled 150,

I think your doing the right thing. Alot of ranches and outfitters do the same thing. They let clients or themselves trophy hunt deer and at the end of the year or at the end of the hunt for clients let them take cull buck or bucks with bad genes out of the heard. It allows you to get some meat in the freezer and there is no doubt that you are giving yourself a better chance of having better deer around if you are doing this year after year. Bucks can travel 20 miles away during the rut, but will they if they don't have to NO! If there are does around they will not leave and if there are less bucks to bread them they expecially will not leave. Most of thetrophies in our area that we have taken, we have watched them for a couple of years, that means that they are breeding does in the area for a couple of years and spreading there genes.Depending on the ratio of bucks to does in your area those big guys that you are letting walk can spread there genes in a hury. So there is no doubt that you can change the heard in your area.

We have done this in our area and in 5 years we have seen a dramatic change.....but our nieghboring farms and the hunters on them are also doing the same thing. We've never seen so many trophies before. Sudies only do so much in this gene talk, it all depends on what kind of area you are doing the study in, is it a controlled area, free ranging conrolled area, are the nieghboring farms or leases doing the same thing, how big ofan area is the study being done in. So I wouldn't refer to studies that have been done on this subject. If you area is a controlled area and everyone that is hunting on it is doing the same thing, it can only help grow bigger deer plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Good and Bad genetics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.