Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good and Bad genetics >

Good and Bad genetics

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good and Bad genetics

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good and Bad genetics

First off, my question is why does anyone give a Rats hind quarters if someone shoots a cull buck on their property when they thimselves would shoot the same buck regardless of its size the first time they seen it?
Kind of like saying, I cant stand jerky, when you have a mouth full of it!

If you have two 2 1/2 year old bucks that have access to the same food source and one is an 8 point that will score 100 and the other is a 5 pt with no brow tines that will score 65" take a wild guess which one has better genes for antler growth.

I would kill the 5pt and his mother if I knew who she was.

And why would I wait till its 4 1/2 years old to do it? You dont want that buck spreading its seed for 2 more seasons.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Sliver:

For me...I don't give a rat's hind quarters what anyone shoots anywhere (that isn't hunting the grounds I hunt). What I find mildly humorous is people shooting 1.5yr old spikes/funky racks and calling them "culls".

I think Pam Anderson had red hair, freckles and braces when she was 10!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

On our farm which is about 600 acres we are doing the same exact thing that doubles 150 is doing an like he has said we have seen a dramatic change we really have.. it has worked for us. now im not saying it will work for other people but it has truely worked for us on our farm. Now we are shooting bigger bucks bc i belive wat we have done.. it cannnot hurt it can only help.. thats wat i belive tho im jus saying because our success rate
Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

On our farm which is about 600 acres we are doing the same exact thing that doubles 150 is doing an like he has said we have seen a dramatic change we really have.. it has worked for us. now im not saying it will work for other people but it has truely worked for us on our farm. Now we are shooting bigger bucks bc i belive wat we have done.. it cannnot hurt it can only help.. thats wat i belive tho im jus saying because our success rate
So what was your practice before? Shooting ALL bucks? Shooting only BIG bucks?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Sliver:

For me...I don't give a rat's hind quarters what anyone shoots anywhere (that isn't hunting the grounds I hunt). What I find mildly humorous is people shooting 1.5yr old spikes/funky racks and calling them "culls".

I think Pam Anderson had red hair, freckles and braces when she was 10!
This could be true, but her rack was surgically, not genetically improved!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So what was your practice before? Shooting ALL bucks? Shooting only BIG bucks?

We were shooting the bucks which we called bad genetics.. Now we have ALOT bigger MATURE bucks an i belive it is because we had alot better gene pool..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mean BEFORE you started only shooting "bad gened" bucks? What was the practice then?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Ever since we have lived here it has been the way we said.. now before we lived here i dont know.. but since we have been practing it the numbers of mature bucks have increased alot an its seems to work
Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

GMMAT won't listen to you if you don't have a wildlife biology degree. If you have one of those apparently it means that you have studdied deer your whole life and you are an deer expert and any study that you conductbecomespurly fact.It means that no matter what kind of setting or areayou do thestudyin, that caries over for our area as well.Come on, a 1.5 year old spike has just as good genes as a 120 inch 1.5 year old.

Even though it only takes you 4-6 years to get the degree to become a wildlife biologist, it gives you a whole lifes worth of knowledge on whitetail deer?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

How can culling funky/inferior racked bucks improve your age structure?

GMMAT won't listen to you if you don't have a wildlife biology degree.
I never said I wouldn't listen. I'm just saying.....It's like wanting to know about electricity. I'd rather listen to the guy who designed the electrical sytem in a construction project over the guy who pees on the fence and gets a shock.

Quick Reply: Good and Bad genetics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.