Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (NON) pass-thru issues.... >

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (NON) pass-thru issues....

I shoot a 403 grain arrow at 280 fps. Sometimes I get a pass through and sometimesI don't. I use a Slick Trick 100 grain magnum head. It really depends on how good my shot placement is. If I hit a lot of bone it may not pass thru but it usually penetrates 100% with the braodhead sticking out the exit wound.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: *JB*

From pass throughs, to ex-wives, to Jesus. This thread has it all.
Boy Howdy!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, A lot of good points have been made here. The broadside issue is one and the heavier arrow is another. Dukemichaels uses aluminum and almost always gets pass throughs. I went to a Slick trick this year at 125g. Didn't get a pass through as the shot was seriously quartering away and entered the hind and guts (sorry). Animal is recovered and mostly gone by now.(I really need another deer) Anyways, I'm considering going back to aluminums for hunting. I just hate the durability issues. I bent a lot my first two years. In retrospect Jeff, you've gotten a lot of deer and everything seems to be working except for the Pass throughs. If it's that important go heavy, try Slick tricks and wait for broadside shots. If not you still are getting a ton of success. My hats off to you! Really. But I know the perfectionist in you will get you where you want to be.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just from my personal experience first and secondhand with friends' deer and such....

I heavier (typically Aluminum in my experience) almost always blow through a deer cleanly....expandable or fixed. Granted shoulders and spines definitely hinder the passthrough but as far as cavity shots go, I am sold that heavy arrow with a sharp fixed blade head will ALWAYS pass through out of a compound. When I started bowhunting I used a 29" 2117 with a 125 grain muzzy to take7 deer all passthroughs with a OLD Darton 55#. Dad used a 2215 and the same head to passthrough 8/9 in the same time period with the non being a spine shot. Since then I have experience with carbons of various weights and various heads. Nothing seems to blow through deer like an aluminum and a muzzy that I have used since.....my 2 cents.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Don...

If you wanna make fun of the deer I shoot.......go ahead.

I'll chalk it up to low-class and move on.
Jeff,
I think you missed his point, I think he was indicating that maybe something in your set-up is the downfall. Easy on the swipes, calling him "low-class" might offend those of us who really are "low-class!!!" J/K Don, but I've been accused of being a "class-less Redneck," and usually from the accuser, I take it as a compliment!!!

Seriously, Jeff, what is your total set-up??? Rages??? Sub-400gr arrow??? 60#'s at 29" DL???? I think a lot of it comes into play. I'm shooting 440grains of fury at them with a 125gr ST Magnum on the fore-end, but even with WASP Jak-Hammers, ALL of my shots that were well placed, were Pass-throughs.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Will you just get a damn fixed head already?!
Yep. Fixed heads can't be beat. I shoot slow trad bows and use nothing but fixed two blades and I get a pass through on most every deer,unless I hit a shoulder blade on the back side. Penetration would go something like this. Of course, with well tuned bows.

Best penetration;
Fixed double blades with small cut diameters with a progression to less penetrationby number of blades relative to cut diameters with larger having less penetration. , ex. Two better than three, three better than four, etc.
Then mechanicals.

With that said:Todays fast compounds, you can fudge around to get what you want. Bigger cut diameters for bigger holes, more blades for more blood, etc. But with a well tuned compound, you should not be having issues with penetration. You might want to up you foc or go with a heavier shaft.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mikeshunk

Boy Howdy!!!
I hear ya, I wonder what new members or guests comes in here and thinks.....

I wish the mods would really tighten up the reigns in this forum!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: mikeshunk

Boy Howdy!!!
I hear ya, I wonder what new members or guests comes in here and thinks.....

I wish the mods would really tighten up the reigns in this forum!
Are you kidding? I believe that in order to "tighten up the reigns", you have to have a grip on them first.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

My current arrow setup is 470gr. I've killed one deer (my 11/29 buck) with it.....but I wouldn't expect that shot to be a pass-thru (although it was exactly where I wanted it to go).

Like I said.....I'll switch wfter the weekend (closer is Sat) and try out the new head maybe in the urban season.