Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (NON) pass-thru issues.... >

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Default RE: (NON) pass-thru issues....

I'd bet 75% of pass through issues are a direct result from having too light an arrow. I'm a big believer today in heavy shafts/setups - like 600-700 grains or more
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

never thought much about a sharp quartering away angle like RJ brought up and Jeff says almost all of his shots have been. I feel very confident in saying that under sharp quartering away angles that none of us will get 100% passthroughs. The chances of hitting heavy bone increase plus shooting through more of the deer....more mass.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 AM

Jeff,

Since you've had pass through problems with both fixed and mech heads I'll just state the obvious. The heads aren't the problem.

Personally, I think youare movingdown the correct path when you decided late this season to go with a heavier arrow. I may get flamed, since there is more than one way to skin a cat and some guys love light arrows, but given the choice between a super fast light arrow and a slower heavy arrow, I'm going to take the slower arrow every time. I don't even bother crunching the numbers for KE anymore. Any modern60 to 70 pound bow and a 450 to 550 grain arrow should blow right through a deer at the distances we hunt these animals. It was true back in the late 80's when compounds were a lot slower and it's true today.

Sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in numbers.When I bumped up my arrow weight again this season, I didn't shoot one single arrow through a chrono. I didn't care what it said.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Jimi..

Funny you say this. I've run the numbers enough to know that if I go up to 125gr......I go down in KE. I don't think I care.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jimi..

Funny you say this. I've run the numbers enough to know that if I go up to 125gr......I go down in KE. I don't think I care.
My prediction is your pass through percentage is going completely swing the other way with your heavier setup.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think your prediction will be right as well.. I am shooting Easton's 2419 aluminums with a 145 grainMagnus fixed blade broadhead and never had to much of aproblem with passing threw.

I do however go along with what Cougar Mag said about the quartering away shots tho..
Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jimi..

Jeff,
You can't be dropping that much KE. I switched from GT 5575's with a 100 grain head to GT 7595's with a 125 grain head (a BIG increase in total arrow weight) and lost 30+ fps. I didn't lose much KE at all. I don't remember the numbersbut I can run them again if you like. All I know is that my bow is so much quiet on the shot,and every deer I've killed has been a pass-through even though I don't shoot fixed blade heads like some say you have to in order to get consistent pass-throughs. You already know I shoot Grim Reapers.[8D]
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Momentum momentum momentum ....heavier is better .... I spit on kinetic energy
Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Always trying to stir up trouble.[8D]

I would think that the two are related and work together, as in you can't have one without the other. Either way, since I have to clean dirt off the broadheads after every kill shot, I'll keep my setup the way it is and I don't have to worry about any of it any longer.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Quick Reply: (NON) pass-thru issues....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.