Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (NON) pass-thru issues.... >

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (NON) pass-thru issues....

Jeff:

If I remember from a lot of your pics, I think your shooting deer at pretty good quartering away angles on a fairly consistent basis. I think this is what is causing your challenges with non passthroughs. It's not necessarily a bad way to shoot deer, because it causes tremendous amounts of damage, but it's going to noticably decrease the % of pass throughs, especially when using a large diameter head. It's only going to be magnified using a wide cutting diameter head. It's not the head losing energy opening, it's the nature of a 2" cutting diameter head. In my experience with 2" Vortex heads when I was younger, the Rage's seem to lose a LOT less energy than those did. If you want more passthroughs, go to either a fixed blade head or start waiting for shots that are as close to broadside as possible.

I've hit 8 deer withRage'sover the last 3 seasons. Not one of them has run more than about 60-70 yards. Most of them less than 40. 7 of them passed completely through, the only one that didn't struck my 07' 6 pointer straight in the spine severing it almost completely in half and ended up inside the body cavity stuck in the inside of a rib. All of these hits were from 63-68lb bows, at 29.5", shooting a 440ish grain arrow around 275-290. Only 2 of them were quartering shots, I got lucky with those though and they passed through as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM

You have been going on and on about this issue for quite some time and you keep getting the same answers to your problem. I think it time to take these answers and do something about it. I shoot 64 pounds, 372 grains, and a 100 grain Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut and must wipe dirt off my broadhead every time. I do not know if your season is closed yet or not, if not, choose a new broadhead, practice shooting with it, and go stick yourself a deer. If it is closed......

1. Make some educated decisions on a new broadhead (fixed blade). You are already narrowing your choices down. I will throw in that I have used Muzzy, THunderhead, and Magnus Stingers all out of the exact same current set up I am using, and really none hold a candle to the Stingers for passthroughs.

2. I can't explain your issues using the Muzzys other than your bow maybe not being in tune. I am certainly no expert at tuning a bow, but you have some very good friends on here who are very good at this kind of thing (Rob, Matt, etc). Seek them out for help starting as if you just purchased your bow. The slightest fishtail (that maybe you cant even see) will result in a significant decrease in your passthrough power. If not them, there should be a proshop around who will help you out.

3. One thing that has been mentioned already but perhaps deserves consideration is your height in a treestand. With the elevations you are shooting at, you are choosing to go through the most deer that you can, top to bottom. DOn't go up quite so high, back off the trail you are watching a little bit so you provide yourself more of a broadside shot, than straight downward.

Beyond these three things, I really don't know what else you can do to achieve complete passthrough, now stop asking questions and make it happen.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

RJ you're right....I DO like a quartering away shot (I prefer it). But the snyper is smaller...is it not (I relaize it's the same design)?

I do realize that the qtring shots bring the off side leg into play.....and that's a factor.

The buck I shot Halloween borught all of this into question. I keep wondering (after a conversation with Chris - MOHO) if the outcome would have been different if I'd gotten a pass-thru.

All in all....the rage's have been awesome. Awesome blood trails....easy recoveries....but that one instance makes me wonder.

MN...I'm not looking for a validation on why I should switch. I'm going to do that. I'mwondering why the guys who say pass-thrus don't matter feel the way they do.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not think height in the stand has anything to do with it. That is just my opinion.There is nothing different in a steep angle shot as compared to a ground level shot in terms of arrow obstruction.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt at about 18' everytime, and pretty much only take broadside shots. This cost me# of shots takenbut I have yet to have anything other than pass throughs with a rage. I have not shot one with my new set up but all the kills came from a 60 lb, switchback XT. It was mentioned that you hold off for a better broadside shot...this will definatly help on the pass throughs IMO. Do not take that statement as a knock on your shot placement, all those deer are dead with good shots, but if it is pass throughs that you desire, and you want to keep the 2" head I would have to agree.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

I hunt at 25-30 ft usually and deer are usually in close(5-15 yds) so my arrow enters midway and exits real low...height hasn't hurt me anyway with passthrus, but then again, I use FIXED blades.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Don....

I think we get it. You use fixed blades. You get pass thrus.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try cranking your bow up, wuss

Jeff your fine, you're killing deer, you have more success than 75% MI hunters.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Don....

I think we get it. You use fixed blades. You get pass thrus.
Well, I mentioned my height of the stand as I hadn't mentioned it. We get you are the ONLY bowhunter in the world that doesn't get passthrus. I hate to tell you to go look at the AT thread..but the votes are there. 40 million passthrus on the AT thread I posted ...yea, I know..they are all liars, like you stated that they were earlier.All the guys that voted #1 are liars. Pass thrus are the norm, Jeff. Like mentioned, we have heard you talk about this forever, than we respond and you get defensive. Don't post pass thru issue threads if you don't like the replies. My suggestion is to post, "I am having pass thru problems but please don't give me advise as I am not going to take it."
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

no

Quick Reply: (NON) pass-thru issues....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.