Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (NON) pass-thru issues.... >

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Old 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: (NON) pass-thru issues....

I shot nice 8 pt this season , no pass throughand he didn't go 50 yds from tree . 15yd shot, Mathews Drenalin 65#, 100 gr Grim Reapers, double lung shot, slite quartering away.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:11 PM

forgot to add...71# 362 gr arrow..280 fps...I got 8 pass thrus out of 9 last year with a very light 309 gr arrow!!! the difference....Muzzy head last year...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

VA....I used muzzy's exclusively in '06......taking 5 whitetails with ONE pass-thru.[&:]
Old 12-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Jeff Im not sure what's going then...last year my bow was set up at 74# with a 90 gr muzzy and an arrow weight of 309 gr!! like I said, I got 8 out of 9 pass thrus[&:]I did not know my arrow was that light, or else I would have shot a much heavier arrow....only thing I can think to try is up the # ?? have you killed a deer with the new arrow set up??
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

VA....I used muzzy's exclusively in '06......taking 5 whitetails with ONE pass-thru.[&:]
Sounds to me like you are aiming for the wrong spot. You are not supposed to aim for the front shoulder but just behind it!!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

The problem is real easy to fix and you already know the solution. Quit usinga 2" cutting diameter mechanical. It is funny(not ha ha funny but ironic funny) that you are changing to a fixed after you so vehemently defended the Rage a year ago while I trashed on it and now I am using the Rage and am satisfied (so far).

I may ultimately switch back to the fixed, I don't know. For now I guess I'll keep using a little of both. Yes, an arrow at POI is important and can help one determine how to go about recovery, but I have not (so far) had a problem knowing what kind of hit I made by seeing the impact, but more importantly watching the reaction of the deer.

At this point ,I have decided that a good blood trailis more important to me than the arrow. When everything goes right and the deer is down in 30-60 yards it doesn't usually matter. But what about when you don't make the perfect shot? I have had to grid search to find a lot of deer that were hit fair but not perfect (livers and one lungs) with my fixed whereas with the Rage I have always had a good blood trail that have led in 100% sucessful recovery even though two of them were marginal shots(a 1 lung and aliver).

And for the fixed proponents who try andsay the blood trail is just as good on a consistent basis with the fixed as compared to the Rage, well.....they probably aren't being 100% forthcoming with you or themselves anymore than all the Rage proponents who are reluctant to talk about the lesser number of complete pass thrus.

As far as the cost, that is really not a priority for me but I concur you will have more lost/broken arrows with the Rage plus the heads are more expensive to begin with.

Bottomline....even though I am currently using the Rage on at least half of my deer (4 out of 6 this year, 3 out 7 last year), I wouldn't even try and recommend it to someone that says a complete pass thru is a "must" for broadhead choice. I also will not even consider them for elk even though I know some have.

One more thing. Why wait until next year? Go buy a pack of a popular fixed BH, make sure they are flying accurately, and go kill a doe. Not that one deer validates anything, but it would be a start and I would be interested in your objective impression of the blood trail comparison.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I think the rage heads burn a LOT of energy up as they go through an animal. That's what I think it is.

We'll find out!

Jack...

I'll STILL vehemently defend the rage head. It's a great head. I just want more pass-thrus. It hurt me (in my mind) on only one deer, this year (not getting a pass-thru).

As for not waiting 'til next year......I just don't want to go through the tuning process, really....and I'll betrying to bag my first deer with the longbow in the last remaining 6 days of my season.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last 8 deer I have shot have been with Muzzys. I have had 7 pass throughs, with the one non pass through being at a severe angle after the buck turned. I even had pass throughs with my old Bear Whitetail bow and aluminum arrows. I want a pass through every time as the arrow is the vital link to any tracking job that may take place.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM

yep what Brett said.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds to me like you are aiming for the wrong spot. You are not supposed to aim for the front shoulder but just behind it!!
Did you even read any of the first few pages?

Being that was your first year, how comfortable are you (now in retrospect) that your bow was properly tuned that year?

Completely fair question...

I can only say I practiced with those BH's out to 50yds. I never had tailing issues with them. If my bow wasn't in tune.....would it not have been visually discernable at those shot distances? Honest question.

Quick Reply: (NON) pass-thru issues....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.