Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hell Razor / G5 Montec guys.....Questions >

Hell Razor / G5 Montec guys.....Questions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hell Razor / G5 Montec guys.....Questions

Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hell Razor / G5 Montec guys.....Questions

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Once you go Slick; they are the trick[8D]
That should be their advertising logo
I second that!

Here's my take... I believe that Montecs and ST's fly equally well. I believe that any quality BH placed right will do the job. However, I don't believe you could resharpen a one piece head and ever make it as sharp as replaceable razors from the factory. And you don't have to buy a sharpening stone and sit there and spend however long it takes to sharpen all 6 sides of a montec multiplied by however many arrows in your quiver you mightuse in a year.Top it off, I do believe the ST's are cheaper iirc.

I have shot montecs and did not like them for the reasons stated. Oh, almost forgot... imaginethe 1 1/8 three blade hole of a montec-vs- the 1 1/8 four blade hole of a ST. There's a good 40% more hole with the ST.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gmmat, what heads are you shooting with your Longbow???? Why not shoot the same ones with your compound! Have you tried the Snuffers yet???? Thats what I used on the buck I killed this year, pass thru and a great blood trail while busting a few ribs goin in and out! I don't see why these would be a bad idea for a compound bow???
Ive got (forgive my ignorance) some kind of Magnus 2 blade on the longbow arrows. I need to stay with a 100gr. BH, though (actually lose KE when I go to 125gr.) and the trad. heads are 125gr.
So what If you loose some KE. Your KE Is much higher then mine and I'm blowing through most of my deer and bear with a 220 fps recurve with my set up. I really believe you would like them Snuffers Jeff. They do need sharpening out of the box though. There also cheap (6 pack for $27.00). These other heads your speaking of (G5 Strikers) I think are a decent head as well. The only thing I don't like about them Is that there not a solid one piece head like my Snuffers. I'd think about shooting them If I wasn't happy with my set up.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gmmat, what heads are you shooting with your Longbow???? Why not shoot the same ones with your compound! Have you tried the Snuffers yet???? Thats what I used on the buck I killed this year, pass thru and a great blood trail while busting a few ribs goin in and out! I don't see why these would be a bad idea for a compound bow???
Ive got (forgive my ignorance) some kind of Magnus 2 blade on the longbow arrows. I need to stay with a 100gr. BH, though (actually lose KE when I go to 125gr.) and the trad. heads are 125gr.
So what If you loose some KE. Your KE Is much higher then mine and I'm blowing through most of my deer and bear with a 220 fps recurve with my set up. I really believe you would like them Snuffers Jeff. They do need sharpening out of the box though. There also cheap (6 pack for $27.00). These other heads your speaking of (G5 Strikers) I think are a decent head as well. The only thing I don't like about them Is that there not a solid one piece head like my Snuffers. I'd think about shooting them If I wasn't happy with my set up.

Yep, I smoked my buck I shot this year, complete pass thru. I would be surprised if I'm getting anywhere close to 200FPS from my Longbow shooting a 620gr+ carbon arrow out of a 50# Bow, I love it, Snuffers is where its at!

The Strikers gotta be close to $40 for a 3 pack if I'm not mistaken???
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I doubt you remember, but last year, I was at your house and I showed you a G5 Striker, and how amazingly sharp it was. I love them, I did crack a blade on Doe # 3 but also blew right through both of her shoulders with a 350grn arrow. They fly perfect out of the box.... I don't plan on changing anytime soon. If you wanna try one before the year is over... Let me know, I wont be using more than 1 the rest of the year. I don't think you would be disapointed.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Strikers gotta be close to $40 for a 3 pack if I'm not mistaken???
They're more like $30-35. I however was on ebay after the season last year and got 2 packs (6 heads) for $35 to my door.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - They make a 100 grain Magnus Stinger. Cut on contact, strong as heck, and they will resharpen them for you for life at no cost. Dan has shot quite a few deer with them and they certainly get the job done. They come out of the pack scary sharp too.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Jeff, I doubt you remember, but last year, I was at your house and I showed you a G5 Striker, and how amazingly sharp it was. I love them, I did crack a blade on Doe # 3 but also blew right through both of her shoulders with a 350grn arrow. They fly perfect out of the box.... I don't plan on changing anytime soon. If you wanna try one before the year is over... Let me know, I wont be using more than 1 the rest of the year. I don't think you would be disapointed.

I second the G5 Striker. Incredibly sharp and durable. I've shot two does and a tree[8D]with the same head with no damage. Of course I did sharpen it after each harvest, obviously, for ethical purposes.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I think I'm gonna go with a G5 Striker magnum 125gr. I'll lose VERY little in KE (2-3FP's).....and I think I'll appreciate the extra momentum produced.

Thanks for all of your inputs. There's likely a LOT of great heads I could go with....but I like being able to replace the blades on a whim.

Hopefully I'll get to try one out in the urban season.....in NCHunterman invites me over!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Site Bouncer

After using Montec's for a few years I decided to try the rage two blade broad heads last year. I had pass through on all of my deer last year (one buck, two does). This year I again used the Rage two blade but I switched up and shot my Montec's as well. One doe down with the Rage and one down with the Montec and I can honestly tell you that neither went any discernible distance longer than the other. Both fell within sight at about 70-80yards away each.

The only difference I noticed was the blood loss from the Rage broad heads was more significant than the blood loss from the Montec's. Both however were very easy to follow (if needed) and as noted both did the job quite well. The other difference was the damage to the broad head. The Rage head bent beyond repair andlost a blade. The Montec I simply re-sharpened and put back in the quiver. I will most likely stick with this two broad head combination but I think I will use the Montec's primarily from here out for the reasons listed above.

So as far as Montec or Hell Razor, I can only comment on the Montec's. While I have damaged these broad heads before (beyond repair) as well, they are still what I'd consider a strong broad head (far stronger than the Rage). Like Motown stated they should be sharpened a little more before use but that's not to say you can't use them right out of the box, you can, it's just some of us are a little more picky.

I don't think you will ever get them as sharp as some other broad heads on the market due to the design of the head. It's factory sharpened at a specific angle so that you can resharpen them by placing the broad head flat on a stone and sharpen two sides of the head at one time, rotate and sharpen two more, etc... That being said, you can still get them sharp enough to shave with and that's good enough for me.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Montec's....but be prepared to be willing to spend some time sharpening them.

Sorry but I never used the Hell Razor's...can't comment.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not a fan of the striker, but others have had good luck with it.
If we are going with th premise wider is better, than to me having 4 blades instead of 3 is better[:-]

It took me awhile, but I am a SL shooter these days

Quick Reply: Hell Razor / G5 Montec guys.....Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.