Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best camo?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: best camo?

I like trying new camo out, right now I'm limited to what i have to try, mostly Mossy Oak Breakup, I ran into problems though of when the leaves fall, so I'm going to try Mossy Oak Treestand, and I'm very interested in Ultimate Camo...this thread has just fueled my desire to buy more camo, the little lady should be happy...or not...maybe I can appease her by picking her up some too...maybe...

Has anyone tried MO-Treestand at all, or what do you think?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: daveyrock

Has anyone tried MO-Treestand at all, or what do you think?
Great camo pattern for hunting out of the tree stand. 2nd to none in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

The big problem I have is that all my camo is mossy oak right now. I don't want to spend $500 on a new pattern although I like a few of the patterns I've been looking at (ASAT, Ultimate, and MOTreestand). I'm leaning toward ASAT because I can buy a suit and wear it over my existing insulated camo clothing. I have some nice insulated bibbs and jacket I got last year that keep me good and warm. I'm not going to throw them away I just need to cover them up. That's my hang up with both Ultimate and MOTreestand.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Predator, ASAT, S&L, Original Skyline patterns, etc work far better than the boutique patterns.

That new MOTS pic posted above looks like a big grey black blob- which surprised me- new stuff looks more open- guess it's just the same ol same ol. Good neutral "dirt" l coloring though compared to Realtree (which always looks new car paint)

Wow..look at that..camo that actually breaks up your outline- (courtesy Greg)

Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag
being still and how your stand is positioned relative to the deer entry trails is more important than the camo you are wearing.
I'd agree with this, no doubt. Camo make slittle difference when everything is "right".

It's when things are not perfect (all too often my experience/bad luck) that good camo can make the difference. Trees aren't always big enough or provide sufficent cover, deer catch ya move, they come from a different direction, etc. And don't forget, if you are a skinny little guy who is 5 feet tall and weighs 150 pounds sopping wet you need alot less outline breaking than a 6 foot tall, 275 pounder who is wider than most fo the trees he sits in.

(yes, I'm reading this thread backwards)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

That's the stuff! The only thing i do not like about it is the material. It's very water resistant and that makes it a bit noisy. When it's warm, i don't really notice, but you have to think about it in the cold.
Dandbuck
Note* This is in reply to the MO winter white camo. Ireally need to get some pictures of it in b/w like greg does!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to pick one suit due to budget constraints or simplicity I would go with either ASAT or Predator Fall Grey. The open patterns just work better. I tend to wear my ASAT 3-Dsuit in the early season b/c leaves are on the trees and it is hot. I've had deer stare at me and move on unworried. No pattern will mask a lot of movement, but I think it can help with getting picked off, especially at further distances.

At least the mainstream patterns likeTreestand and APG are getting better.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO camo unless it has extreme contrasts isn't as essential as: not moving, scent, location (silhouette), and sound.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Spike

I know where you can get a size large ASAT 3-D suit if interested.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag
being still and how your stand is positioned relative to the deer entry trails is more important than the camo you are wearing.
I'd agree with this, no doubt. Camo make slittle difference when everything is "right".

It's when things are not perfect (all too often my experience/bad luck) that good camo can make the difference. Trees aren't always big enough or provide sufficent cover, deer catch ya move, they come from a different direction, etc. And don't forget, if you are a skinny little guy who is 5 feet tall and weighs 150 pounds sopping wet you need alot less outline breaking than a 6 foot tall, 275 pounder who is wider than most fo the trees he sits in.

(yes, I'm reading this thread backwards)
I agree Jeff!! I try to take advantage of location and natural cover, but somehow it seems like my Camo is always put to the test.

I Love my Predator Camo, and just recently got a suit of Ultimate Camo. I hope to put it to the test this Turkey season.

I must admit it looks pretty impressive, and I'm sure there will be setups I rely on it next Deer season as well.

Dan