Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PT's "Spike" thead... >

PT's "Spike" thead...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PT's "Spike" thead...

Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default PT's "Spike" thead...

What do you guys REALLY makes a spike a spike?

From everything I hear and read.....it has everything to do with being a late born fawn.....and little (if anything) to do with genetics.

Are there STILL people out there that think the "Once a spike" garbage is real?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PT's "Spike" thead...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What do you guys REALLY makes a spike a spike?

From everything I hear and read.....it has everything to do with being a late born fawn.....and little (if anything) to do with genetics.

Are there STILL people out there that think the "Once a spike" garbage is real?
I don't think anyone believes that once a spike, always a spike .... I think they believe they will never attain to what a 6 or 8 will as a mature buck ...... AND the spike can pass on the perceived inferior genetics .....
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guarentee there are still those "once a spike always a spike" guys out there. Specially those once a year gun hunters.

I agree it probably has a lot to do with being born late, or having a mother who didn't take real good care of the little one. Didn't let him feed very often or weaned him early in the season.

The majority of the nutrients go to feed the body and the bones. Anything that is left over goes to the antlers.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought that also after everyone on here saying that but I have a friend of mine who raises and sells deer (small hobby farm). This friend of mine bought this BB fawn from another guy 2 years ago. The next year that BB fawn from the previous year grew spikes and my buddy called the guy he bought It from asking him a few questions about this fawn and the fawns dad. The fawn wasn't a late born fawn (like It would matter anyway, pen raised). The fawns dad was also a spike his 1st year and then In It's 2nd year he was a 115" 10 point. This same BB fawn ended up growing damn near an Identical rack this year at 2.5 years old like his dad did. So yes I believe genes are a part of this also.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Biologist aged this deer by his Liver Spots.... 6.5 Years Old.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

My Biologist aged this deer by his Liver Spots.... 6.5 Years Old.

Find a new biologist.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

If Thats a 6.5 year old dear.....I'll I'll I don't know what I'll do, but thats not a 6.5 year old deer. Thats a 1.5 old. You can tell by looking at it. My Uncle is a wildlife biologist. He says spikes on average are late born fawns. He said they're usually from yearling does bred in the second, or even third rut. He said occasionally though bucks can be passed on the spike gene, but just because they're a spike doesn't mean they won't be a trphy. They had a penned spike that ended up scoring 169 at 6.5
Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Almost to a man the guys at my hunt club believe that once a spike always crap. Of the 20 members maybe 3 of us KNOW its BS.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Almost to a man the guys at my hunt club believe that once a spike always crap. Of the 20 members maybe 3 of us KNOW its BS.
That has been a long held belief here in Pennsylvania too. I'm sure many of the old timers still believe it.

BTW buckmaster...I'm with IAhuntr. You need a new biologist. Nothing in that picturepoints to an old deer.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

buckmaster, i REALLY hope you're kidding!

Quick Reply: PT's "Spike" thead...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.