Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Keeping it "fresh" >

Keeping it "fresh"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping it "fresh"

Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Keeping it "fresh"

My two best bucks were killed from the ground, though it wasn't my intent at the start of each hunt. Jeff if you really want to liven it up next season, try rattling, raking and grunting from the ground. Best hunt I ever had was doing all 3 and then killing a buck that came in like hard.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story Steve. The deer are all fluffy and cute right now in Michigan with their burlap coats...Success tonight..I just got home..I'll send pics.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Cool story Steve. The deer are all fluffy and cute right now in Michigan with their burlap coats...Success tonight..I just got home..I'll send pics.

Sweet!! Start a thread!!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on the ground in a couple of spots. But I honestly never on purpose constructed any type of natural blind in these areas. After reading this, I think I might just do this as well.

One spot that have hunted on the ground is in a small block of pines. The pines there are only about 10-15 ft tall. If you're up in a tree, you can't see anything. But, if you're on the ground, you can see under the pine canopy. Its really the only option to hunt this area.

I took a doe off the ground early this fall. It's a great rush to be eye level with your quary at such close range. Sometimes, I stop and think about hunting out of a treestand. Compared to ground hunting, it does detach you a bit from the quary you're persuing.

Now, if you ever get bored of hunting deer from the ground, give turkeys a try. Without a blind, its probably as tough as it gets. I still haven't been able to connect with one in this manner.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, still hunting for Turkeys is where its at! I took my 24# Tom this past spring this way at 11 steps(shotgun Kill)!! Shot a Turkey this fall still hunting with the Longbow and passed up on a few young deer still hunting from the ground with the Longbow! I have found that Hunting this way with Trad gear is in my favor, draw, anchor and release!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

Jeff, good for you. I look forward to hearing about how you go about it. Please be sure to take pictures of the nat. blinds.

I do the same thing for turkeys, and will give it serious thought for deer.

Something unreal about shooting animals from the ground, close.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

You could take it one step further and go below the ground [8D]. Dig yourself a pit and hunt out of it.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Now, if you ever get bored of hunting deer from the ground, give turkeys a try. Without a blind, its probably as tough as it gets. I still haven't been able to connect with one in this manner.
This is the only way I've everturkey hunted.[8D]Get one to gobble on therust and go get'em.

I'm gonna geta blind and somedecoy's,givethis new wayof turkey hunting a try this spring. Keep it "fresh".
Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted solely from the ground for my first 8 years in the woods. I still have more dead whitetail from there than from the tree.

Although.. with my bum right knee.. those days are closing.[&:][:@]

You will learn alot from the ground. So much so.. that when you get back in a tree it almost feels unfair.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on getting hooked for another year. The last two years I have taken deer from ground level, in natural blinds it took me 15 minutes max to create in the summer months. One was at 12 steps and the other at 42, it really is an extra rush.

Quick Reply: Keeping it "fresh"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.