HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Late season tips? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/278324-late-season-tips.html)

ICALL2MUCH 12-13-2008 03:24 PM

Late season tips?

What are some of your late season tips?

I highlighted 4 of mine in this blog. http://www.outdoorfreaks.net/joomla/...tml&Itemid=165

-Food
-Seclusion/Low Pressure
-Check Equipment
-Hunt evenings

GMMAT 12-13-2008 04:34 PM

RE: Late season tips?

1. Hunt does....because they'll find the best food sources. After that....see no. 5.
2. Get high (in the tree)....after leaf drop....cover is sometimes hard to come by.
3. TAKE A CHANCE! It's late....what do you have to lose? Get in his bedroom.
4. If you're hunting bucks.....HUNT EVENINGS. Hunt as close as you can to his bed.
5. If you're hunting "A" buck.....go back to early season tactics....and stay away from the does (unless they share a common food source......and you're huntinga "destination" spot). How they get to the food source (bucks and does) will likely differ.

If I was buck hunting right now....I'd go back to the tactics I was using in early Oct......which would encompass No.'s 2, 3, 4 and 5. If I didn't know where he was bedding.....I'd use no. 1 and work back.

ICALL2MUCH 12-13-2008 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. Hunt does....because they'll find the best food sources. After that....see no. 5.
2. Get high (in the tree)....after leaf drop....cover is sometimes hard to come by.
3. TAKE A CHANCE! It's late....what do you have to lose? Get in his bedroom.
4. If you're hunting bucks.....HUNT EVENINGS. Hunt as close as you can to his bed.
5. If you're hunting "A" buck.....go back to early season tactics....and stay away from the does (unless they share a common food source......and you're hunting a "destination" spot). How they get to the food source (bucks and does) will likely differ.

If I was buck hunting right now....I'd go back to the tactics I was using in early Oct......which would encompass No.'s 2, 3, 4 and 5. If I didn't know where he was bedding.....I'd use no. 1 and work back.

Wow, Jeff. You are correct. I meant EVENINGS. In my text I talked evenings, but I did type mornings. What an idiot!

Thanks for that.

I also agree with you on the "get in the bedroom".

gri22ly 12-13-2008 06:59 PM

Jeff is quit the hunter, thats for sure!!!!!!!

hardcorehunter 12-13-2008 07:13 PM

My tip is not2call too much I call2much..andI, hardcorehunter recommend to b a hardcorehunter. Hope that helps.

ICALL2MUCH 12-13-2008 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

My tip is not2call too much I call2much..and I, hardcorehunter recommend to b a hardcorehunter. Hope that helps.

LOL. Perfect.

2 Lunger 12-13-2008 10:30 PM

FOOD!!!! and nasty weather. Winter wheat with an approaching snow storm is golden in my neck of the woods. At this time of year I pretty much abandon morning hunts. As stated above your attention needs to be shifted to evening travel patterns to food sources.

magicman54494 12-13-2008 10:31 PM

My tip is not2call too much I call2much..andI, hardcorehunter recommend to b a hardcorehunter. Hope that helps.
I guess then my tip would be to pull a rabbit out of your hat.

ICALL2MUCH 12-13-2008 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

My tip is not2call too much I call2much..and I, hardcorehunter recommend to b a hardcorehunter. Hope that helps.
I guess then my tip would be to pull a rabbit out of your hat.
I agree! Or a fat whitetail!

muzzyman88 12-13-2008 10:53 PM

Just out of curiosity, why evenings only? I have never really done a lot of late season hunting and am just wondering why evening are better, especially for bucks. Does it have anything to do with them getting to their beds too early in the morning?