Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage and blood trails..... >

Rage and blood trails.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage and blood trails.....

Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Rage and blood trails.....

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.

I don't know if I really agree with that, if the area is open enough that it really doesn't matter where the deer stops, I will try and stop them, but where there are certain 'windows' where the deer will cross through, then, if the deer is not moving that fast and the shot is relatively close, a walking shot is preferable.

I would rather have them walking and oblivious, than stopped and on alert, my opinion when alert the 'jumping the string' effect has to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for all the posts, kinda what I figured for the broadhead, just goofy luck. The entry and exit holes on both deer were big enough to stick two fingers into, I am not at all disappointed in the final results which is I will be eating good this coming year.......
Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

I mean if they both dropped within sight of your stand it is hard to complain about their effectiveness. The fact that they dropped so soon might account for the lack of blood too. I've had deer perfectly hit not bleed for several yards. I think this has to do with the body cavity filling with blood before it really comes pumping out. The location of the exit hole, the amount of hair/fat on the animal, and a million other little factors all play a part too.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.
Your wrong Strut. Anyone can shoot a deer walking, they just need to know what there doing. I've shot a good handful walking, they were all lung and heart shots. I'll never stop a deer unless It's down right flying. I don't like alerting deer.

As for the Intent of the thread, you can make a perfect shot Wiaxle and some times they just don't bleed. Why Is that? Who really knows. It will happen no matter what BH your using. Sometimes things don't follow the rules.
I feel the exact same way if you stop the deer and they go on alert they can duck the string and you end up with a bad shot to. I totally agree with everything said here. I have shot 5 deer wtih the rage 2 blade half of them walking shots all lung and one heart and all were incredable blood trails.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I one lunged and livered a deer this year and if I had not carefully searched I would have never found. Poor or non-existent blood right from the get go! Exit wound could have been lower but I was still surprised at the lack ofblood even with a higher cavity exit.

Sometimes even with a good hit they just don't bleed well.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Your wrong Strut. Anyone can shoot a deer walking, they just need to know what there doing. I've shot a good handful walking, they were all lung and heart shots. I'll never stop a deer unless It's down right flying. I don't like alerting deer.

As for the Intent of the thread, you can make a perfect shot Wiaxle and some times they just don't bleed. Why Is that? Who really knows. It will happen no matter what BH your using. Sometimes things don't follow the rules.
One of those things we will have to agree to disagree on. I will not shoot at a deer walking. I've seen too many deer get shot and lost because the hunter didn't compensate for the deer walking and put the arrow through the deer's stomach. It may not be such an issue in areas where you can let deer lay over night, but we can't do that here because they will spoil.

I try my best to wait until they stop on their own. That way they aren't "alert". However, we all know that isn't the case. IMO a deer has different "levels" of being alert. From my experiences if the deer isn't stopming its foot and looking right at you (busted you) you will be alright. I also realize that nothing in hunting is a given. Again, itsa personal thing, but I rathertake my chances on stopping a deer than shooting at it while itswalking.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of those things we will have to agree to disagree on. I will not shoot at a deer walking. I've seen too many deer get shot and lost because the hunter didn't compensate for the deer walking and put the arrow through the deer's stomach. It may not be such an issue in areas where you can let deer lay over night, but we can't do that here because they will spoil.

I try my best to wait until they stop on their own. That way they aren't "alert". However, we all know that isn't the case. IMO a deer has different "levels" of being alert. From my experiences if the deer isn't stopming its foot and looking right at you (busted you) you will be alright. I also realize that nothing in hunting is a given. Again, itsa personal thing, but I rathertake my chances on stopping a deer than shooting at it while itswalking.
Your right also Strut. Whatever works for you Is what you should be doing. I've just heard way to many story's of deer dropping and arrows going over the backs and or hitting the spine or above the spine. Bottom line Is whatever works for you Is what you should do. I didn't mean nothing bad when I quoted you earlier.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Your right also Strut. Whatever works for you Is what you should be doing. I've just heard way to many story's of deer dropping and arrows going over the backs and or hitting the spine or above the spine. Bottom line Is whatever works for you Is what you should do. I didn't mean nothing bad when I quoted you earlier.
I know ya didn't. I was just explaining myself a little that's all. There might come a day when I make the mistake and try to stop a deer and do more "harm" than good and send the deer packing to the next county. Or have it duck my arrow, but until then I am going to stay with what has worked for me.

I do have a question though. For those "stories" you have heard about deer ducking an arrow after being stopped. Do you know if the deer was on what I like to call "full alert" where it knows you are there. IE...Stomping its foot and staring you down? Also...do you know the distances? I know how fast a deer is, trust me, but unless they are in full alert and at 30+yds I am 100% confident in my shot.

However, even with that said. I would not shoot at a deer if I stopped it and it looked right up at me and started flicking its tail and stomping its foot because they are about to bolt at any given milisecond.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

A lot of people believea deer will duck your arrowmore oftenon shorter yardage shots.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do have a question though. For those "stories" you have heard about deer ducking an arrow after being stopped. Do you know if the deer was on what I like to call "full alert" where it knows you are there. IE...Stomping its foot and staring you down? Also...do you know the distances? I know how fast a deer is, trust me, but unless they are in full alert and at 30+yds I am 100% confident in my shot.
Every time I see It on TV or hear It from a friend or even read It on here when people mahhh or blahhh or whatever they do the deer stops and looks to see what the heck It Is. Whether they stomp or not they are aware something Is up at least. Distance's vary, anywhere from 10 to 30 yards. Like I said though, stick with what works for ya. If you have confidense In It, your step ahead then.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i tried to trail my bucks trail backwards last year...just to do it...

125gr 3blade muzzy...20yd double lung shot...450ish grain arrow over 60lbs of KE...

maybe went 20yds...died in sight and in bowrange...

no blood that i could find...arrow was soaked...shot was perfect...lungs and everything off the top of the heart...

outside of the hide was clean....

inside of the cavity was absolutely FULL of blood...ive gutted probably 20-30 deer...never seen blood like that!

another 10-20yds and im sure it would have been pouring and spraying and i would needed hip boots to cross his trail lol...

just takes time for blood to reach the holes sometimes...

Quick Reply: Rage and blood trails.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.