Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage and blood trails..... >

Rage and blood trails.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage and blood trails.....

Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Rage and blood trails.....

First off, I am not looking to start up a firestorm, I am looking to see if this is a common occurance or if I encountered a couple unique situations.

Background, using a bowtech Allegiance, pulling about 71 pounds, shooting a 365gr arrow (about 290fps) with a rage 3 blade broadhead.

I shot two deer this year, both photos taken from the stand. Both shot from the same stand, maybe 15'-0" in the air. Both deer were walking, did not stop either of them, neither of the deer knew I was there, or at least they were not skittish or on the alert.

The first was a doe on 11/13. It was about a 14 yard shot, quartering away, she was walking and I did not compensate enough for the movement, took her a little back, caught the front of the stomach, then liver and a bit of the spleen. Pass through. She ran back the way she came about 15-20 yards, stopped, turned into the brush, stopped after 5 yards, stood there for a couple minutes, staggered once, went about 5 more yards, then layed down about 25 yards from the stand (see picture below)

There was a bit of blood at the impact point, and a little bit of blood at each place she stopped. But there was not a noticeable blood trail. I was observing her through the binocs and the wound had very little to no blood coming out of it. I can see a liver shot not producing a lot of blood, but the amount that I had was surprising nonetheless.

The second deer I harvested was a buck on 12/6. He came in broadside at about 20-25 yards.

Double lunged him, pass through again. He ran about 10 yards, then walked about 30 more yards before laying down, took about 15 minutes to expire. When I got down out of the tree to find my arrow, there was even less blood around compared to the doe. It had snowed the night before, a very light fluffy fine snow. 25 minutes after the shot, the blood had been lightly rolled/snowed over. If I had not have had snow I doubt very much if I would have found any blood, it was a couple specks here, couple more over there. This continued up to the buck, basically no blood trail, in the snow.

Now, I am extremely happy with the fact there was no tracking involved with either of these deer. However if there would have been tracking, I am a bit concerned with the lack of a substantial trail with lethal shots.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this common for the 3 blade Rage broadhead? or did I just happen to encounter a couple unique situations and chalk it up as a freak event?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage and blood trails.....

Oh no!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats really weird! Its not the BH though, its the shot and situation. Ive shot many a deer with 1" muzzys and had plenty of blood adn i have seen the rage holes! Anatomy is what it is. Maybe you just had odd shots? I had one not bleed at all but the arrow broke off in her and plugged the hole. She still only went 35ish yards. The doei shot early season[&:]Massacre is all i can say. It was utterly amazing how much blood was everywhere!
Derek
Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.

As for your post. I have shot three deer this year with the 2 blade Rage heads. I use a Tribute 70lbs @ 27.5'' and total arrow weight is 440gr. All three deer were pass throughs and all three deer lost huge amounts of blood. One of them had a massive blood trail that squirted blood 4ft up on trees.

The last one I shot was a mature doe. I was about 15ft high and she came in walking directly from my right to my left. At about 15yds I had a perfect broad side shot. The arrow hit her perfect left and right and a little high going in. She took off up the hill.While sitting in the standI could see a puddle ofblood right behindwhere she was standing.This wasin hardwoods so the ground wascovered with all sorts of yellow, red, and brown leaves that make most tracking jobsabig head ache. Thearrow hit arib and turned. Went through entire stomach contents and came right before her ham. She only went about 40yds or so. As for the blood trail it was just like the first two bucks I shot this season. Very heavy. The only thing I can compare the blood trails I've had so far with the Rage 2 blade is like taking an oil plug out of a car and driving it. Its a steady flow of blood. Not a spot here and a drop there.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea why a double lung shot wouldn't producea great blood trail.

Got a photo of the wound?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Too bad you didn't have pics of the entrance and exit wounds. I assume the blades opened as they will open if you just tap on the arrow if rubber bands wern't in place.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 AM

I have taken four this year with the rage 3 blades and have had results that were nothing short of amazing as far as blood goes. Now all of the deer I shot were stopped broadside and got all double lung pass throughs so shot placement might have helped my bloodtrails.It was so bad on the first one that it looked like somebody took a red paint can, cut a hole in the bottom and slung it around for 35 yrds to the deer. If you like em keep shooting them, they do the job.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken 4 deer this year with the 2 blade. One buck, 3 does. All had amazing blood trails. My buddy took 6 this year, all with Rage 2 blade......same results, massive blood trails. I would also guess it to be shot placement rather than the BH as far the lack of bloodtrails you are describing. Did you hit the buck high in the lungs?

Shane
Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.
Your wrong Strut. Anyone can shoot a deer walking, they just need to know what there doing. I've shot a good handful walking, they were all lung and heart shots. I'll never stop a deer unless It's down right flying. I don't like alerting deer.

As for the Intent of the thread, you can make a perfect shot Wiaxle and some times they just don't bleed. Why Is that? Who really knows. It will happen no matter what BH your using. Sometimes things don't follow the rules.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Your wrong Strut. Anyone can shoot a deer walking, they just need to know what there doing. I've shot a good handful walking, they were all lung and heart shots. I'll never stop a deer unless It's down right flying. I don't like alerting deer.
I'm with you Shultzy.

Quick Reply: Rage and blood trails.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.