Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 overlook the fact of killing deer? >

overlook the fact of killing deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

overlook the fact of killing deer?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default overlook the fact of killing deer?

The spiker thread got me thinking. Do you evertake for grantedthe fact that you kill deer? Or you had the ability to kill deer if you chose and passed? I didn't realize the number of people that go a season (or seasons) without killing anything. I guess I just go into a season knowing I'll kill the number of deer I want for meat in the freezer. Hell there are stretches in my season where I could kill A DEER of some kind 90% of the time I go out. Maybe I've taken that fact for granted. I get so wrapped up on particular bucks or filling that buck tag. I get so overwhelmed with the strategy, details and the mental side of hunting that to be honest the thought of just being able to kill a deer doesn't even enter my brain. It's a non issue for me. Interesting.

I'm not sure how this is coming across. Let me just say that in no way shape or form am I proclaiming to be the greatest hunter (or even top 10 [8D]) on the face of the Earth. In fact I think I really suck lol. It just dawned on me that there are a lot of people that don't get the opportunity to take a deer. I know I'm getting my 3 deer (or more if I chose) a season. There really isn't a question about that .... ever.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Default RE: overlook the fact of killing deer?

I am one of those few who do not get the chance to kill deer very often.....it kinda sux. But it makes it worth it when I finally get one....I hope. I have been hunting for 2 years, probably over 50 sits and have only seen 1 doe.....did not get a shot. The only animals i have killed are squirrels, ducks, and doves.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have also only been hunting for two seasons. I have had a few chances. I stuck a doe with the bow, however couldn't find her. I cannot say that I haven't had oppurtunities, however I have not harvested any deer in two seasons. However I do go into a season expecting to least get an oppurtunity but just cant seem to captilize on that chance. Learned a lot of lessons these last two seasons. Have a few more days left in late bow season here in NY so I still have a chance.

The other thing is that I kind of am doing this hunting thing on my own with no "Mentors" I have a few people i ask questions of but for the most part I am learning a valuable tip everytime I go out in the woods. Thats why I thought I should register to the forums here.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I feel exactly the same way you do, NY. Exactly.

I've had to take a step back, personally, and realize that every time I shoot, drag, etc....an animal has paid the ultimate price.

I've got a buddy that's killed probably 200+ deer. We were talking last Saturday night about this (drinking a few Newcastles). We both agreed that the fact that they are most times silent allows us to not have to come to grips with this very often (ending their lives). As we talked I knew where it was headed....as we'd both talked previously about having a deer bawl at you on a shot. Again....we both agreed....if they ALL did this....we'd both quit killing them. Honestly.

I've probably taken for granted the fact that they are DEAD, before. I had a little talk with myself about that, this year.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: RabidSniperNY

I have also only been hunting for two seasons. I have had a few chances. I stuck a doe with the bow, however couldn't find her. I cannot say that I haven't had oppurtunities, however I have not harvested any deer in two seasons. However I do go into a season expecting to least get an oppurtunity but just cant seem to captilize on that chance. Learned a lot of lessons these last two seasons. Have a few more days left in late bow season here in NY so I still have a chance.

The other thing is that I kind of am doing this hunting thing on my own with no "Mentors" I have a few people i ask questions of but for the most part I am learning a valuable tip everytime I go out in the woods. Thats why I thought I should register to the forums here.
Same here....I think the littlest help is a big help to me because I really dont have anyone in my family who has hunted before so I am just kinda feeling it out as I go.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I am one of those few who do not get the chance to kill deer very often.....it kinda sux. But it makes it worth it when I finally get one....I hope. I have been hunting for 2 years, probably over 50 sits and have only seen 1 doe.....did not get a shot. The only animals i have killed are squirrels, ducks, and doves.
You're only about four and a half hours from me. If you have the time to make a trip to Tennessee and want to up your odds of killing a deer, send me a PM and maybe we can work out some details. Even if you don't kill one, my wife will grill up some backstraps for us.[8D]
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Growing up ina 1 tag deer state that just recently in the last decaded moved to two tags for bucks (thats means buying a second for non-resident prices) anyway growing up that way and knowing nothing different taught me to be picky once I got to an age that shooting the first deer I saw wasnt as much fun. So I've passed on critters my whole life, bucks, bulls, bears etc... especially in the early season. Sometimes I end up taking the same critter later once the season dwindles. I have never taken for granted the encounters though, as a matter of fact I find a lot of satisfaction in watching animals in bow range that never know I am there.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mechanical Engineering student
Rolla Rural Fire Dept.

Rolla? Crap, dude, you live in a deer hunting paradise! Also, that puts you more like six hours from me. I thought you lived in Florissant.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont take killing deer for granted, I work pretty hard, for my venison ,even the "easy" ones I spend alot of time and $$$ on hunting. Between the scouting, range time ,handloading ammo, shooting my bow, time spent driving to hunting areas in the wee hrs of the morning, washing clothes organizing equipment, butchering, etc, along w/ the long hrs on stand...I'd say about 100hrs goes into each deer and I dont even want to think about what each deer must cost me[:@]

As far as other guys not getting deer, I feel bad for the guys who go it the hard way, on public land exclusively, or in parts of the country w/ low deer #s like in ME or the adirondacks, who put in long hrs and never even get to see deer. The guys who pass up bucks cause theyre not big enough , well thats their choice, if theyre cool w/ possibly eating tag sammys, then they dont need my sympathy.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Mechanical Engineering student
Rolla Rural Fire Dept.

Rolla? Crap, dude, you live in a deer hunting paradise! Also, that puts you more like six hours from me. I thought you lived in Florissant.

i do live in Florissant. But I go to school in Rolla. I am actually wrapping up an internship in Springfield and plan on having a summer job outside Columbia....I get around the state a lot.....44 is my highway. If by south east you mean the Poplar Bluff area....I know some people around there too.

Quick Reply: overlook the fact of killing deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.