Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 overlook the fact of killing deer? >

overlook the fact of killing deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

overlook the fact of killing deer?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: overlook the fact of killing deer?

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Mechanical Engineering student
Rolla Rural Fire Dept.

Rolla? Crap, dude, you live in a deer hunting paradise! Also, that puts you more like six hours from me. I thought you lived in Florissant.
i do live in Florissant. But I go to school in Rolla. I am actually wrapping up an internship in Springfield and plan on having a summer job outside Columbia....I get around the state a lot.....44 is my highway. If by south east you mean the Poplar Bluff area....I know some people around there too.
Kind of funny, really. I grew up 40 miles from Poplar Bluff and know it well. Also, my brother was a preacher in Rolla for quite a few years before he moved to Arkansas.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Ya....I have asked a lot of people in the rolla area about hunting on their land...but they tend to be very very protective. Even the other guys on the department.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

The spiker thread got me thinking. Do you evertake for grantedthe fact that you kill deer? Or you had the ability to kill deer if you chose and passed? I didn't realize the number of people that go a season (or seasons) without killing anything. I guess I just go into a season knowing I'll kill the number of deer I want for meat in the freezer. Hell there are stretches in my season where I could kill A DEER of some kind 90% of the time I go out. Maybe I've taken that fact for granted. I get so wrapped up on particular bucks or filling that buck tag. I get so overwhelmed with the strategy, details and the mental side of hunting that to be honest the thought of just being able to kill a deer doesn't even enter my brain. It's a non issue for me. Interesting.

I'm not sure how this is coming across. Let me just say that in no way shape or form am I proclaiming to be the greatest hunter (or even top 10 [8D]) on the face of the Earth. In fact I think I really suck lol. It just dawned on me that there are a lot of people that don't get the opportunity to take a deer. I know I'm getting my 3 deer (or more if I chose) a season. There really isn't a question about that .... ever.
I'm not sure what your trying to say?
Do I take for granted that I'm actually killing an animal?
Or that I good enough to do it?
I'll try to answer. If this is a respect deer question, It's a deer. I kill it and eat it. I try to make a clean kill and won't torture it. Funerals are pretty expensive so I just toss the carcass on my bone pile out back.
If the question is about my ability to kill one:
I used to hunt an area that offered a lot of shots. I never had a chance to shoot a big buck. I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area. I hunt Minn. with rifle. Wis with rifle and bow so somewhere along the way I always seem to get some deer meat. Wis bow kill success is about 15-18%. So if I get one that puts me in the top 15-18%
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Neither I guess. Just a general concept and mindset going into and during your season. At no time before or during my season am I thinking about if I'm going to kill a deer (or 3 in my case because that's how many I want to take each year for the meat I use). It's just going to happen every year. There's really no way it can't happen. I was just trying to recall what it's like to go into your season with the outlook of getting a shot at something. I haven't experienced that in a long time.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

The spiker thread got me thinking. Do you evertake for grantedthe fact that you kill deer? Or you had the ability to kill deer if you chose and passed? I didn't realize the number of people that go a season (or seasons) without killing anything. I guess I just go into a season knowing I'll kill the number of deer I want for meat in the freezer. Hell there are stretches in my season where I could kill A DEER of some kind 90% of the time I go out. Maybe I've taken that fact for granted. I get so wrapped up on particular bucks or filling that buck tag. I get so overwhelmed with the strategy, details and the mental side of hunting that to be honest the thought of just being able to kill a deer doesn't even enter my brain. It's a non issue for me. Interesting.

I'm not sure how this is coming across. Let me just say that in no way shape or form am I proclaiming to be the greatest hunter (or even top 10 [8D]) on the face of the Earth. In fact I think I really suck lol. It just dawned on me that there are a lot of people that don't get the opportunity to take a deer. I know I'm getting my 3 deer (or more if I chose) a season. There really isn't a question about that .... ever.
I'll try to answer. If this is a respect deer question, It's a deer. I kill it and eat it. I try to make a clean kill and won't torture it. Funerals are pretty expensive so I just toss the carcass on my bone pile out back.
If the question is about my ability to kill one:
I used to hunt an area that offered a lot of shots. I never had a chance to shoot a big buck. I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area. I hunt Minn. with rifle. Wis with rifle and bow so somewhere along the way I always seem to get some deer meat. Wis bow kill success is about 15-18%. So if I get one that puts me in the top 15-18%
I thought that what he was trying to ask was something like "Do you assume you're going to kill deer because you always do, and as a result, take it for granted when you actually kill the deer?"

I think I understand the question, and I can see how that could happen. A few years ago, my kills were so few and far between that I'd have been ecstatic with any deer. Now, with 5 last year and 6 so far this year, I can see that if this trend continues, I might getoverconfident and cocky and look at the first deer of the year as expected rather than an achievement. I hope that never happens to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area.
I am not sure I understand how you chances of shooting a bigger one are better when you don't see any deer. I would think if you had a larger doe population in your area, the chances of a buck cruising for a doe is a lot better.

As for me...well I have had a dry few years...when it comes to actually putting meat in the freezer. But during the last few years I changed my style from meat in the freezer to quality deer. I don't want to say trophy hunter, because I believe I am far from that. In my dry years I passed on numerous mature does to see what was (or wasn't) tailing them. I would consider my season of 07 to almost as successful as this year. The odd part is that I killed a nice buck this year and a doe. Last year all I had was a few close encounters with monsters and a few near misses on does.

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder!!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

It's not extremely hard for me to kill a deer...but killing the one I want is VERY tough
Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

Growing up ina 1 tag deer state that just recently in the last decaded moved to two tags for bucks (thats means buying a second for non-resident prices) anyway growing up that way and knowing nothing different taught me to be picky once I got to an age that shooting the first deer I saw wasnt as much fun. So I've passed on critters my whole life, bucks, bulls, bears etc... especially in the early season. Sometimes I end up taking the same critter later once the season dwindles. I have never taken for granted the encounters though, as a matter of fact I find a lot of satisfaction in watching animals in bow range that never know I am there.
You do get quite the variety out there though. Id take a buck, bear and bull over just 3 deer, anyday!

But with that said, I too take the killing for granted. Ive shot four deer per yearinthe last two years, and its starting to come pretty easy. Next year I will be greatly upping my standards, only because the does come pretty easy.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

I am now hunting an area where shot opertunity is very low. I saw 1 doe this whole season. My chance of shooting a bigger one is much better in this area.
I am not sure I understand how you chances of shooting a bigger one are better when you don't see any deer. I would think if you had a larger doe population in your area, the chances of a buck cruising for a doe is a lot better.

As for me...well I have had a dry few years...when it comes to actually putting meat in the freezer. But during the last few years I changed my style from meat in the freezer to quality deer. I don't want to say trophy hunter, because I believe I am far from that. In my dry years I passed on numerous mature does to see what was (or wasn't) tailing them. I would consider my season of 07 to almost as successful as this year. The odd part is that I killed a nice buck this year and a doe. Last year all I had was a few close encounters with monsters and a few near misses on does.

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder!!
Where I used to hunt was a brown it's down area. Maybe 1 buck in a thousand got to 3 1/2. The age structure where I now hunt is much better so when (if) I do see one the chances of him being a big one are better.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

This was my 31st year hunting whitetails,witharchery gear as well as a rifle. In that amount of time Ihave taken alot of deerand I must admit when I was younger the thought of killing the animal really never entered my thought process.So I guess you can say I kind of over looked it, butI never once took it for granted and I canassure you that I worked very hard for every one that I got and I truely have appreciated all the deer I have killed.

As I have gotten older, my hunting style has changed and I now find myself trying to only take a mature animal and yes the thought of killing this animal has crossed my mind. It doesn't stop me from killing it, but the thoughts have crossed my mind.

Quick Reply: overlook the fact of killing deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.