Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year! >

Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going to be buying my 1st bow for next year!

First of all, welcome to the addiction.

There are a lot of things to get hooked on in life, but IMO, there isn't much better than bowhunting.

For a good starter bow, your best bet is to find a good local pro shop to go to and start asking questions. Let me help you find a decent bow to start with. They'll help you get the bow fitted right, outfit it and start you off on the right foot. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to start with equipment that does not fit you right.

Most shops have a lower end line of bows that are well suited for the beginner. Or, they might have a few used bows that you can pick up for a steal.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could probably pick up a used alleigence for 450-500 bucks, and heck, you might not ever want to upgrade!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wiaxle

Goto a small bow shop, not your cabela's (you have one right down the road from you I believe) or something of that nature.

Go to the website of the major manufacturers and find out where there are shops around you. You will probably find that alot of the shops in your area carry alot of different brands.

Give them a price range that you are looking at, that price should include the fact you need a full set up, including release, quiver, arrows, case? sight, rest, stablizer (assuming you are starting from scratch)

Don't be afraid to look into something used. Good way to get into something out of your current price range if you had to buy it new. All the bow shops I visited this spring had a wide selection of used bows on hand, not saying all of them would have been right for me, but it is an option.

If you go into a shop and they don't have the time of the day for you, try somewhere else, most places the guys working there are decent, but you want to find a shop that will help you out, and will take the time to get you set up properly and help you out, not all places will do that, if you don't have that personal touch/service, starting out will not be as enjoyable as it should be.....

If you do find a place that will work with you, shoot a bunch of different bows, find out what feels good to you, every bow has a different feel, I shot 17 different ones before settling on the one I bought this year.

Have fun, and good luck with your search.

I am planning on going to Midwestern Shooting supply in Lomira WI if any of you locals know the place.

Also will those smaller type places let you just shoot any bow you want. Kind of like a test drive? Didn't the store get annoyed with shootting 17? That is great if that is the norm.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will not be dissapointed going with a Bear bow. I have a "Lights Out", and for the price I love it. I'm already looking into other bows because I want a back up.. but yea, Bear bows are great, especially for bowhunting newbies.., trust me, Iam one.