Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm back

Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm back

Last year I informed everyone that I quit hunting.

I had lost my desire to kill. I sat out the archery season but still had that urge to just be out there. It's an addiction, I tell you. I wrestled with this for a long time. The decicision to quit or go. That smell of autum in the air about drove me crazy.

I missed it. Still bothers me when I kill. You'd think after killing so many I'd just be numb to it, but it actually worked the opposite way for me.

Anyway I did end up buying a hunting license and a couple left over doe tags. I did go rifle hunting but hunted with a pistol and muzzleloader the first day. I wanted to try something a bit more challenging.

Got a doe with the pistol on the first Monday of the PA season.

I also saw a real nice buck in the area before the season. So on Tuesday I took the rifle and decided it would be that buck or none.( Still wish I'd took the inline)Selective hunting as some of you had suggested to me before. You guys told me I should try something different instead.

You talked about picking a paticular buck and hunting just for him. Although I used a rifle, I suceeded in my goal and got that buck.

It was a different season this year for me. I passed onsome deer that I had tags for. That's something I never did before. IfI had a tag I'd shoot.
I liked how it felt to let them walk.

Anyway, I just wanted to inform you guys, that I am back.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm back

Welcome back. Sounds like you've had a very eventful season for starting so late
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome back.

I remember the reason you left....and fully repsected your decision.

Glad to have you back, too.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you found a way to make it work for you. I remember your thread like yeaterday.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

welcome back
Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

As GMMAT and Motown said, I remember your thread very much also. I'm glad you figured something out, sometimes a break Is needed. Welcome back and good to have you back!!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Last year I informed everyone that I quit hunting.

I had lost my desire to kill. I sat out the archery season but still had that urge to just be out there. It's an addiction, I tell you. I wrestled with this for a long time. The decicision to quit or go. That smell of autum in the air about drove me crazy.

I missed it. Still bothers me when I kill. You'd think after killing so many I'd just be numb to it, but it actually worked the opposite way for me.

Anyway I did end up buying a hunting license and a couple left over doe tags. I did go rifle hunting but hunted with a pistol and muzzleloader the first day. I wanted to try something a bit more challenging.

Got a doe with the pistol on the first Monday of the PA season.

I also saw a real nice buck in the area before the season. So on Tuesday I took the rifle and decided it would be that buck or none.( Still wish I'd took the inline)Selective hunting as some of you had suggested to me before. You guys told me I should try something different instead.

You talked about picking a paticular buck and hunting just for him. Although I used a rifle, I suceeded in my goal and got that buck.

It was a different season this year for me. I passed onsome deer that I had tags for. That's something I never did before. IfI had a tag I'd shoot.
I liked how it felt to let them walk.

Anyway, I just wanted to inform you guys, that I am back.
Welcome back! The rules have changed since you left. You get a sac punch if you tell us you got one and don't post a picture!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I think we all feel a little saddness when we shoot an animal (whether we'll all admit it or not).One feels bothrewarded for the acomplishment/harvest but sad that the animal is gone and hunt has concluded. I thinkthis feeling is just the respect and admirationwe feel for the animal. After spending so many hours in the woods in awe of these magnificent creatures,how wouldn't youfeel this way just a bit? I think most guys feel this wayto some varying degree. I think becoming selective and taking only what you need is also a way of respecting the animal so good for you that you've come to peace with it.

Another thing to try which helps you sit in the woods and not feeling like you have to shoot is simply by taking a camera with you. I've started taking my camera with me now on all hunts andI've found it's added a new dimension to my hunts. When I see a buck coming now, I either pick up my bow or camera so it's like I get to shoot all of the bucks I see in a way.While I'm still pretty green at the photography aspect, it's something I look forward to improving in.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Glad you found a way to make it work for you. I remember your thread like yesterday.
as do I ....welcome back!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome back, glad things are working out for you..

Quick Reply: I'm back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.