Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tag Soup or a Spiker??????? >

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Assuming that shooting the spike is legal (it isn't in my state), and assuming my freezer is bare as the question states then I'm shooting that spike.

I don't need to shoot it, but I want my venison. Those of you who said the deer "earned" a pass, give me a break! It's a freakin' deer. It hasn't earned anything, but a ride in the back of my truck on the way to the freezer.

Those of you that would eat tag soup for your "QDM" reasons need to consider that if the first and only deer you have a chance to fill your freezer with is at the end of the season with 15 minutes left and it's a little spiker then QDM in your area is out the window anyway.

Dead spike=full tummy.
Awesome!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Last hunt of the year .....you have not put any venison in the freezer and noone has given you any ....... the last 15 minutes of your season, a fat spiker shows up by himself and stops 18 yards away, broadside ...... do you take him or end the season with zero venison?

I know that some of you guys hunt where doe abound and it's almost impossible for you to comprehend the question .... but if ya wanna play, you have to put yourself in the situation ......not change it
Not to be a stickler PT, but this has nothing to do with how your season has progressed....The spike could be the first deer seen, the first deer in range.....or it could be the 100th deer in range you have passed on. Either way, it is possible and not that uncommon to have zero meat in the freezer.

Last year, I didnt kill 1 deer all season...but that isn't saying I didn't have plenty of deer in range...just not the ones I was interested in. I still ate tag soup with zero meat.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot him
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I dont get the philosophy if I dont someone else will, or it isnt working if all I have seen is a spike on the last day. By adding to the "problem" (if you see it that way) by killing bucks younger than what you are looking for, you aren't helping. Passing that spike gives you a chance at a 2.5 yo the next year, shooting him certainly doesn't.

If you aren't looking for a certain quality buck and only want venison from your deer, I agree shoot the spiker.

While I agree with your thought on this and pass on 1.5 year old bucks and many 2.5 year old bucks if I were hunting all season and didn't have any venison at all and the season is just about up and a legal deer walks by, it's getting it. No hesitation.

Like I said, I want my venison. If that makes me part of the "problem" whatever. At least I won't be hungry while wishing there was a bigger buck around.

Then again if all that was around last season was a spiker, I'd better be banging on some doors in a better deer neighborhood.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Not everybody wants to grow bigger deer. Lotta people hunt for meat. Earned it? The question (I think) didnt say that you didnt have shot opportunities, it said it was the last day and there werent deer in the freezer. If season was open for a week and he made it to the end of that week, with a shot opportunity on the last day, did he earn the right to live til next year? I try not to shoot small bucks anymore, but some people are too hung up on antlers. I think it ties back to the respect thread. Shooting a young doe for meat, then letting the boys walk because you want to try to outsmart them later.... If it's about hunting a smart mature animal, try to hunt for 4.5y/o+ does as well rather than something to show off. Does have offspring and themselves to look out for in the beginning of season, then later theyre harassed by bucks, then chased hard at the end of season when people are trying to kill meat, they get smart quick. I think the only reason they might be killed more often than a buck of the same age is because the bucks are fewer in numbers.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont get the philosophy if I dont someone else will, or it isnt working if all I have seen is a spike on the last day.
I don't understand your philosophy either. Not saying there's anything wrong with it - I just don't understand it. It doesn't fit me or the way I hunt.

By adding to the "problem" (if you see it that way) by killing bucks younger than what you are looking for, you aren't helping.
The thing that exempts me from this statement is that I usually set out to kill "deer", not a buck, and certainly not a buck of a certain caliber.

Passing that spike gives you a chance at a 2.5 yo the next year, shooting him certainly doesn't.
If you aren't looking for a certain quality buck and only want venison from your deer, I agree shoot the spiker.
Passing this particular spike inthis hypothetical scenario will result in my (a) not having any venison this year and (b) having an (my opinion only) unsuccesful season. Also, I don't hunt for antlers. They're nice, but I don't hunt for them. Why should I care if this particular deer lives until next year?

A thread just a day or two ago discussed when a doe was killed in relation to whether or not she produces fawns the next year. Either way you sliced it, the end result is the same. To me, and me only, the QDM issue is a direct parallel. It doesn't matter if I kill this 1 1/2 year old spike today, wait until he's 2 1/2 like you said above, or wait until he's a 3 1/2 year old wall-hanger - he will still never makeit to a 4 1/2 year old to 5 1/2 year old mature monster. Where should we draw the line? I dunno. Since I hunt for deer instead of trophies, it really doesn't matter to me. I just know that when I drop this deer, I had a successful hunt and I'm putting meat in the freezer.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Tag Soup Recipe:[/align][/align]1. Add1 cup of water to a pot.[/align]2. Add one deer tag, gun or bow, any states tagwill do.Paper tags only, the old style tin ones willrust in the soup. [/align]3. Bring temperature of soup to 212 degressfor 3 minutes thenadd a tea bag andwait three minutes, serve in a cup with sugar to your liking (milk optional).[/align]4. While drinking said tea with a smile, understand that you've now got a buck in the woods who might make it onto your wall injust a couple of more years.[/align]5.Pat yourself on the back, job well done![/align]
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I dont get the philosophy if I dont someone else will, or it isnt working if all I have seen is a spike on the last day.
I don't understand your philosophy either. Not saying there's anything wrong with it - I just don't understand it. It doesn't fit me or the way I hunt.

By adding to the "problem" (if you see it that way) by killing bucks younger than what you are looking for, you aren't helping.
The thing that exempts me from this statement is that I usually set out to kill "deer", not a buck, and certainly not a buck of a certain caliber.

Passing that spike gives you a chance at a 2.5 yo the next year, shooting him certainly doesn't.
Passing this particular spike inthis hypothetical scenario will result in my (a) not having any venison this year and (b) having an (my opinion only) unsuccesful season. Also, I don't hunt for antlers. They're nice, but I don't hunt for them. Why should I care if this particular deer lives until next year?

A thread just a day or two ago discussed when a doe was killed in relation to whether or not she produces fawns the next year. Either way you sliced it, the end result is the same. To me, and me only, the QDM issue is a direct parallel. It doesn't matter if I kill this 1 1/2 year old spike today, wait until he's 2 1/2 like you said above, or wait until he's a 3 1/2 year old wall-hanger - he will still never makeit to a 4 1/2 year old to 5 1/2 year old mature monster. Where should we draw the line? I dunno. Since I hunt for deer instead of trophies, it really doesn't matter to me. I just know that when I drop this deer, I had a successful hunt and I'm putting meat in the freezer.
or 6.5 or 7.5 and so forth........you want to hunt mature animals or you want big antlers? If you want big antlers go to a game farm, if you want true mature animals, preach to those who shoot 4.5-5.5y/os and tell them to let them wait til they get to be 6.5y/o+

He's only going to get smart. Its just a matter of where to draw the line. I like big deer just as much as anybody, but theyre a bi-product in my hunting, and Im trying in the past year or two, to hunt in ways condusive to have my cake (venison) and my big deer....and it doesnt always work out in the best way to grow a big buck, which is fine by me.Nobody else manages for big deer around me (60ac)...I try to do my part. Those who stick around and dont wander off property and get shot, well thats great, likelyhood, none. I witnessed first hand this year how small of a range a deer can have...A spike I watched all year pretty much was there to be seen on property whenever I hunted...I got in a hurry one day while hewas hurridly making his way across the field and thought he was bigger than what he was and well, that jerky and back straps and burger is might good.....I still want one to eat.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Last hunt of the year .....you have not put any venison in the freezer and noone has given you any ....... the last 15 minutes of your season, a fat spiker shows up by himself and stops 18 yards away, broadside ...... do you take him or end the season with zero venison?

I know that some of you guys hunt where doe abound and it's almost impossible for you to comprehend the question .... but if ya wanna play, you have to put yourself in the situation ......not change it
Not to be a stickler PT, but this has nothing to do with how your season has progressed....The spike could be the first deer seen, the first deer in range.....or it could be the 100th deer in range you have passed on. Either way, it is possible and not that uncommon to have zero meat in the freezer.

Last year, I didnt kill 1 deer all season...but that isn't saying I didn't have plenty of deer in range...just not the ones I was interested in. I still ate tag soup with zero meat.
I realize that, Trevor, what I was trying to see was how many guys standards may change by how much venison is in their freezer ....
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

The way my season has gone i'd probably shoot and miss.

Quick Reply: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.